Replacing starter on 2001 elantra automatic

The starter is bad in my car and needs to be replaced. I havent had a chance to take a look at how its in there. Does anyone know how hard it is to pull the starter? I use to be a low level machanic back in the days and know my way pritty good under the hood. I know with some cars, they have the starter on top of the tranny between the firewall and engine and are a pain to take out. Can anyone give me any instructions on how to pull it out.

Thanks

Reply to
whosyodaddy1019

It's not too bad as long as your arms are fairly flexible. You'll need to take the air intake hose and air box off to gain access. It's held on the transmission by two 14mm head bolts. Remove the bottom one first by hand (probably cannot get a power tool in) and then take the top one out (much easier to get to). If you can get under the car, it's probably easiest to remove the wiring from underneath prior to loosening the starter.

Reply to
hyundaitech

This is really wierd. This morning I just deccieded to try and start the car and it started up fine. I drove around for a bit, shut it off and turned it back on and it still worked. I dont know if its that battery or something now. But that really doesnt make much sence being that the battery looses amprage when its colder. There was another person on this site that had the exact same issue and a week later it worked fine. Any Ideas on this one?

Reply to
whosyodaddy1019

Sounds to me like it may well be your battery. If you don't have the equipment to check your starting/charging systems yourself, I'd recommend taking the car in and having it checked.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The starter soloniod could be going bad too. DID it click or even turn the engine at all ???? BE very carefull with rebuilts you get from Crappy Auto & such places GO to the dealer or a NAPA parts store

Reply to
sqdancerLynn