ringing noise while driving, creaking wheel

Hi there,

I have a 2003 Sonata under lease (less than 20,000 km) but didn't like going to my dealer, so I had an oil change done at a mechanic, providing an oil filter which I bought from the dealer.

I've noticed the following: if I drive more than a certain distance, about half-way across town, my car starts to make a ringing noise while driving, which stops when I apply the breaks. If I stop the car for a while, it goes away, but comes back after I drive it a certain amount again. At the same time as the ringing noise happens, I notice that the steering wheel makes a kind of creaking noise when I turn it. These two things happen at the same time.

In general, for the short day to day trips I use my car for, I don't have any problems, but if I drive over a certain amount, I get these problems, first at higher speeds, then at lower speeds.

Would this be caused by the mechanic not installing the oil filter properly or not using the right oil. The oil light is not coming on. I could not buy "authentic hyundai oil" at the dealer, so he used his own. Does the car actually lubricate the axels and steering wheel while running?

I intend to take it back to the mechanic but would like to know if anyone knows off hand what could be causing this.

Thanks,

Jack

Reply to
jack

This sounds like a possible power steering problem or CV joint problem. Can you be more specific about what this "ringing" sound is like? Is "ringing" - as in like a bell - an accurate description?

That could indicate that the problem is sensitive to the temperature of the affected parts.

Not likely. There's only one way to install a filter and if he had cross threaded it, it would leak badly.

For the most part, oil is oil. Hyundai does not use anything special and it's sourced locally. For that matter, your Hyundai dealer could be using the exact same oil your oil changer used.

If you're asking if the engine oil lubricates these parts, the answer is no. The axels have sealed CV joints that are lubricated with a special grease. If their rubber boots get damaged and the grease leaks out (and dirt/water gets in), the joint will be ruined. Since CV joints can make a whining or grinding noise when they fail and it will affect the steering, it's possible that's the problem. On the other hand, a loose power steering belt will squeal loudly under load and affect the steering, too.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

It sounds like brake squeal, but if I apply the brake it temporarily gets quiet. It sort of phases in and out around 60-80 km/hr. It is very loud; people on the street turn to see what the noise is.

When I start the car, the belt slips and makes a noise at first but it's not like the other noise I am hearing. This sounds more like brake squeal.

I once had a dealer tell me that there wasn't enough clearance between the brake pads and rotors and that they might be sticking and he wanted to turn the rotors. I can see how that would make a noise, but would that affect the steering?

Thanks for all your help,

Jack

Reply to
jack

I've got an imaginary $5 that says your front brakes are worn out and you're hearing the wear sensors just barely touching the rotors. When you apply the brakes, it takes up a little looseness in the pads and the sensor stops touching. As time goes on, the sound will occur anytime the vehicle is moving, if I'm correct, that is.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I'll let you know what the outcome it,

Jack

Reply to
jack

I'll let you know what the outcome it,

Jack

Reply to
jack

To start with, fix the slipping belt so that it can be eliminated as the source of the problem.

Turning the rotors won't help sticky calipers. They need to be lubed. I guess if a caliper was really hung, it could affect the steering somewhat, but if it was that bad, you'd probably smell the brake pad burning. Since you didn't mention any smell, it doesnt' seem like the brakes are likely to be causing the steering problem.

CV joints can make noise, but it's typically a rumble or low-pitched whine. It may be the problem. If your car has a manual transmission, if you depress the clutch when the car is making the noise, it should either stop or at least dramatically reduce in volume. If the car is an automatic, try shifting it into neutral to see how it affects the noise.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Good call. It doesn't explain the steering issue, but perhaps it's unrelated to the noise.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I took the car back to the mechanic and he said the calipers were binding. He took them apart and did a lube job on them and now the noise doesn't happen any more. I still notice the steering making a noise. This usually happens at night, or after I've been using the car a while, and when I'm doing parking type maneovers. And the steering feels like it requires more effort. My guess is it's a slipping belt and was unrelated to the brake noise.

Thanks for all the help on this thread,

Jack

Reply to
jack

Definitely missed the steering creaking on the original read. Could be anything. I just fixed one yesterday which had a fuel/brake line clamp wedged between the subframe and body making such a noise. It's more common to be a suspension, rack, or column issue, though.

Reply to
hyundaitech