Rotors for 2001 Accent

I need to replace the front rotors and pads on my 2001 Accent. The rotors are rusted and the pads have 25% remaining. Do I get stock parts or are there better after market rotors which will resist rust?

Reply to
accent

Why are your rotors rusting? Are you not driving the car? A little surface rust is no big deal, as it will wear off after a stop or two. If the rotors are deeply pitted, they'll need to be replaced.

Most rotors are cast iron and they'll rust. Steel rotor are somewhat better, but still rust. I doubt that you'd be able to find stainless steel rotors for an Accent, though they are available for some cars.

Rotors are available anywhere and aftermarket cast iron rotors are inexpensive (~$20-$25 each). Aftermarket OEM-spec brake pads run ~$15-$25. You don't need OEM parts and they'll cost a lot more.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

You are correct. The rust only affects the initial stop or two during damp weather. The rotor surface where the pads make contact are shiny but it is a different story near the center. I see more rust buildup on the side underneath the car.

Are the nickel plating & cadmium plating brake rotor any better than the cast iron?

Reply to
accent

Why are you worried about this rust? If it isn't on the swept area of the rotor, then it generally isn't anything to worry about.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It is the results of a 50000 km brake inspection. I was shown the rust and it was recommended that I replace the rotors and pads. They seem to work fine for now.

Reply to
accent

Replacement recommended by a dealer or an independant shop?

Reply to
Ghislain

Was this recommendation from a Hyundai dealer or a Monro, Midas, etc., that specialize in brake jobs and, in my opinion, ripping off the unsuspecting. Unless the rust is so severe that the mechanical integrity of the rotor is in question, or it is abrading the pads severely, then it simply isn't an issue. My 1994 K1500 Chevy truck still has its original rusted rotors and drums at nearly 100,000 miles and 12 PA winters!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Cast iron rusts. Unless they can show you that parts are thinner than spec or have warping, they are probably more interested in selling parts for profit than your well being.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do your brakes work well? That's what really matters. It sounds like the dealer/shop is just trying to scare you into an unnecessary, expensive repair. It's a VERY common practice, unfortunately. Unless you're feeling a vibration/pulsation when braking normally, there's nothing wrong with your rotors. Based on your original post, I would expect that you'll need to replace the pads within the next 10K miles. It's a simple DIY operation that you could do now if it makes you feel better.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom