Santa Fe, 2002 2.7 L engine...

Which cylinder is #1? I need to pull the plug and make sure it is at the top. As near as I can tell there isn't a cylinder layout at the Hyundai HMA site.

I just finished a do it yourself timing belt change and the engine races when I start it. I was pretty careful but I'm thinking I'm off a tooth on one or both cam sprockets. I need to relocate all the marks and make sure # one is TDC.

Any thoughts anyone?

Jim

Reply to
Jim L

A little premature in my questioning....found #1 toward the front of the engine to the left. (standing on the passengers side of the car looking at the engine) I still look forward to any comments...Jim

Reply to
Jim L

This is not good for the engine. Designating a particular cylinder as number

1 lowers the self esteem of the other cylinders. Those cylinders work just as hard and deserve recognition also. Now they are more likely to have problems coping as they get older because you did not give them the same attention as the number one cylinder.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:62Odi.5136$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

Ba dump dump.....cha

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

That's not cylinder #1. Cylinder #1 is the rear bank on the passenger side. If you must check this, cylinder #4 is up at the same time as cylinder #1. Cylinder #4 is in the middle of the front bank.

There shouldn't be any reason you'd need to physically check the piston's location. You can use the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley.

Furthermore, before doing any of that, check your cruise control cable. If you jacked the engine for access and didn't unbolt the cruise control module, you probably pulled the cruise cable out of one of the end crimps, resulting in the throttle being held open.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Exactly the problem. Fortunately I caught it before I tore the whole thing apart again. Thanks for the reply! Pretty tight in there.

Jim

Reply to
Jim L

ROTFLMAO!