SANTA FE GAS GAUGE PROBLEMS...HELP!!

I HAVE A 2002 SANTA FE (21,000 MILES) THAT WHEN THE GAS IS ABOUT 3/4 FULL, THE GAS GAUGE READS EMPTY. THE DEALERSHIP HAS ATTEMPTED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM THREE TIMES. NOW, FOR AN ADDITIONAL TWO TIMES AT THE DEALERSHIP, THE PROBLEM IS THE REVERSE. WHEN THE GAS GAUGE SHOWS THAT I HAVE 1/2 TANK OF GAS, THERE IS ACTUALLY NO GAS. I HAVE BROKEN DOWN TWICE BECAUSE OF THIS. HOW MANY TIMES SHOULD ONE HAVE TO GO TO A DEALERSHIP TO CORRECT A PROBLEM (AND HYUNDAI ENGINEERS FROM THE CORPORATE OFFICE GET INVOLVED AND STILL NO RESOLUTION). NOT ONLY IS IT DANGEROUS, BUT TO BE INCONVENIENCED AND LOSE WORK TIME TO KEEP GOING BACK AND FORTH FIVE TIMES. ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE WHAT RECOURSE I HAVE? IF THEY CAN'T GET IT RIGHT AFTER THE

5TH TIME I BRING IT TO DEALERSHIP, SHOULDN'T I BE ABLE TO TRADE IN MY CAR FOR A SIMILAR SANTA FE WITH COMPARABLE MILEAGE, BUT ONE THAT DOESN'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM??
Reply to
cheriebaby

Find out if your state has the "LEMON LAW". If so, your dealership will be faced with buying back your car if it turns out to have been a lemon. This is only true if the car was purchased brand new.

viewing the trip odometer. For exaple, whenever the odometer starts to get close to 350 miles, than it's near empty and time to fill up. I have never driven a Santa Fe so I have no idea how many miles it can go between fill ups. If there are more than one engine offered and depending on the choice of transmission -- this should vary. Gas tank size also being a factor.

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Reply to
No Spam for me

Top posting corrected :-)

Lemon Law applies to USED as well. At least it does in NY State

Reply to
Andy S

There is a technical service bulletin listing the correct fuel senders for a range of vehicles. If the wrong sender (or senders) is/are installed the problem you are describing could occur.

Your vehicle actually has two fuel senders. The tank has two low places, one on each side, so a fuel sender is installed on each side. If I recall correctly, the specs for the two senders are not the same.

Whether you have the right to pursue lemon law action will depend on the laws in your state.

Reply to
hyundaitech