Santa Fe P0500 DTC

Santa Fe 2003 LX 3.5L, intermittently getting P0500 (Vehicle speed sensor circuit malfunction), it drops the speedometer function for about

30 to 50 seconds, then recovers it. Wheel speed sensors are clean, cables test OK, and there are not missing teeth on the wheel crowns.

Two questions:

Is there a third sensor (the two wheel sensors + a sensor on the transmission) ??? I cannot find any, but TSB 04-40-019 seems to imply it (Mention VSS and WSS).

Does anybody had the problem and know what the solution is ???

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Vic RR Garcia

The sensor on top of the differential provides vehicle speed information to the computers and the speedometer on the 3.5. As you lose function for only a short period, I'd suspect the plastic gear attached to the sensor rather than the sensor itself. You can remove the 10mm bolt, pop it out the top and have a look. Usually I replace both at the same time because it's often difficult to tell which is the actual problem without trial and error.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks Hyundaitech, will take a look to try to locate it, if that fail, will order one, after seeing it should be fairly easy to locate.

Reply to
Vic RR Garcia

The sensor on top of the differential provides vehicle speed information to the computers and the speedometer on the 3.5. As you lose function for only a short period, I'd suspect the plastic gear attached to the sensor rather than the sensor itself. You can remove the 10mm bolt, pop it out the top and have a look. Usually I replace both at the same time because it's often difficult to tell which is the actual problem without trial and error.

Well, after a lot of looking around... found the sensor, not easy to remove, had to raise truck, get under (after removing air filter assembly, to see what I was doing) the plastic gear looks OK, same for cables, so went ahead and replaced the sensor ($50) BINGO!!!

5 days working OK, not a single drop.

Thanks HyundaiTech, YOU DA man!!!!!!!

Reply to
Vic RR Garcia