Santa Fe rear shelf lid

I have a 2005 Santa Fe LX that came with a retractable rear shelf cover. I've just started using it and have a problem at night with light from the upper brake light (mounted at the top of the back window) reflecting off the glass. It makes it difficult to see when I'm backing up.

The upper brake light appears to leak a lot of light around the edges, but is not loose at all. Is there supposed to be a gasket that stops this from happening or is it just that it wasn't designed with the shelf in mind. Is it fixable?

TIA, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

The lamp doesn't seal the light out very well. That's pretty much the way it is. You could maybe try cutting some rubber strips or something to stick on and see what happens.

I'm a little confused, however, about what the cover has to do with reflection off the glass.

Reply to
hyundaitech

When I look through the rear-view mirror at night with the brake lights on, all I see is a reflection of the shelf on the rear window and can't see very much of what's behind me unless it's brightly lit.

This is usually only a problem when backing out my driveway at home or backing out of a parking slot in a poorly lit lot or garage. Also bad when trying to parallel park on a dark street.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Here's one solution:

Reply to
Gordo

OK, that looks like it might do the trick. I'll give that a try.

Thanks, Jon

JL Rose

The solution presented by User Gordo was actually my idea and post on the santa fe forum. It works Great!

All of the hyundai's I have owned have had that gap between the light and window. It really bugs me. On my wife's elantra gt I used plumbers putty. roll it into a really thin long roll like a worm & seal between the window and light.

my 0.02

Reply to
afob3

I used the below solution and it worked great....just make sure to by the extra wide foam weatherstripping so it actually touches the glass... Len

Reply to
Krazy Kanuck