Santa Fe- Tire Sizes

My 2002 Santa Fe takes P225/70 R16 Tires.

70 represents the depth of the tire..i.e. 70% of the 225cm

But other than Hyundai, most places, i.e. Wal-Mart,Canadian Tire do not carry 225/70 You can get 225/60 or 225/75

My Question: Is it okay to go with an option other than 225/70 from a safety standpoint? I know Hyundai will say "warranty yadda,yadda", but my warranty is long gone

Thanks

Reply to
Doug Hill

I'm confused here. 225-70R16 is an EXTREMELY common tire size for trucks and SUV's. Even for Canada, I can't believe you would have problems here.

Try Sears. They have some of the best tires made in your size. If you want a suggestion or recommendation, the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred, the Michelin XC LT4 are very good "all-season" type tires. If you want something a little more aggressive, the Bridgestone Dueler APTIII is the finest tire (of any type) I have ever had on any vehicle - it downright transformed the handling of a formerly wallowy minivan. All three are made in that size, and you can get them all from Sears.

Incidentally, for alternative sizes, the selection is far less available and common. Stick with this size. And when you do find that it IS a common size, go back to these retailers and ask them what the deal is - EVERYBODY should have a good assortment in this size.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

If you cannot get the same size, try to keep the diameter the same.

225x.7 = 157.5 157.5/.65 = 242.3 157.5/.75 = 210

So you'll get the closest match from 245/65R16. After that comes

205/75R16 and 215/75R16.
Reply to
hyundaitech

will a 245 fit the Sanata fe with out any interference?

tks, Bain

Reply to
Finn

It'll probably clear, but certainly the vehicle should be checked beforehand. For a 245 to fit, you'll need an additional centimeter of clearance on each side.

Reply to
hyundaitech