Santa Fe Transmission Fluid

Page 2 of 2

I had a very similar experience. I was at an independent auto shop getting their "free-checkup" . They told me that the traniie fluid was too dark and needed to be changed. I asked them what kind of fluid they would put in. They said a regular off-the-shelf fluid that had some special additive that made it suitable for the Hyundai trannie.
I reminded them what my owners manual stated in regard to SP-III. They told me that was it was a violation of the Moss-Magnusan Act for Hyundai to tell the owners that they cannot use the fluid they wanted to put in.
I left that shop and went to the Hyundai dealer parts department and purchased 5 quarts of SP-III. Brought it home, put a pan under the trannie, pulled the plug, drained the fluid. and put the 5 quarts back in.
That has been quite some time ago. More recently I was in the mountains and the trannie appeared to get overheated while going up some very steep upgrades. I let it cool down and after I got home I once again drained and added the 5 quarts of SP-III. Trannies are too expensive to be careless with their care.
Old_Timer
I was told that ATF+4 meets the SP III specifications, but Hyundai dealer and Consumer Affair said it is not compatible with ATF+4. They told me that the only compatible ones are those listed on the user's manual, that is their best knowledge.
Old Timer, how often you change your fluid? based on miles or months? Did you ever do a complete flush ever?

I have 64000 miles on the car and have doen the drain five and add five 3 times. The last time ws solely becuase of overheating the trannis onthe mountain road climb. I could probalby avoided the overheat situtaion if I had put it into 2nd gear for the climb,
Old_Timer
Hi Group, I have the XG300 (2001) with 122,000 km (about 80,000 mi) & I too have changed fluid 3 times, the last being fairly recent. I do the change per HMA directions for this model (i.e. take off the tranny return line & crank it at the end until it bubbles -takes 7 + litres this way). That said I drive quite steep mountain roads (10% grades) all the time & sometimes pull a small trailer. The new fluid may stay the same colour for quite a while & suddenly go dark. Like Hyundaitech says this is not necessarily something to worry about unless it's burnt -should have an odour to it then. I suspect that heat is what darkens the fluid especially on a hot summer day when you're cranking up those kind of grades. I have always used the Hyundai auto tranny fluid which used to be SPII but is now SPIII. Unless I get a burned odour I plan to keep that fluid for about 60,000 km. One other thing I have done to reassure me all is well is to pull the drain plug when cold, hold my finger over the drain & examine how much metallic debris is attached to said magnetic plug. First time there was an amount about equal to the end of my thumb (from the bottom of the thumbnail). Last time quite a bit less, so I think I'll monitor it once a year like this b/c I don't even loose a 1/4 L with this check. Any feed back on checking this way?? BCinBC <Old_Timer> wrote in message wrote:

I really don't know how much metalic debris I had on the first two times. I simply did not take notice. On the third, most recent, only a vey small amount of metalic debris.
Old_Timer

I had to replace the compression washer after about the 3rd drain and fill. No big deal, but a little panic mode adrenalin rush when I saw the pool of tranny fluid on the garage floor the next day. Just pick one up and be ready.
Dan
I think changing tranny fluid often on a highway driver is a bit of a scam. Go down to the barber shop and ask the guys you put zillions of miles on Electras, Fairlanes, Polaras, Cutlasses, Caprices etc how ofetn they changed their tranny fluid....betcha once in a 100k at best.........that being said I changed mine once in 62k on the sonata-obliged the dealer around 30k miles on his insistence. Of course, if fluid is burnt (why is that happening), change it. if you live atop Pikes peek, of tow a house trailer ymmv !
< flame suit on :>) >
PS Why was OP vehicle in tranny shop at 15K?? Also, if a shop said my fluid looked bad at that mileage on a routine visit, I'd like to take a look and sniff myself.
The service was to comply with the maitenance requirements in the user's manual, 24 months or 30k whichever comes first. I only put 15k in 2 years. Some guys here do drain and fill in stead of flush, do not know if this practice is good enough.
Drain and fill qualifies as "replacing transmission fluid."

Did you get a chance to see/smell the fluid?? I've known guys of dubious character to wipe the dipstick with a dirty and rag and say "see, your fluid looks like heck". (same guys would rattle an empty bottle of drygas in the filler neck and say"you're all set mam, that'll be 4 bucks" ) Fox in charge of hen house kind of scenario. I do understand wanting to keep your warranty in good order, I just doubt the Actual Need for that frequency .
I got a qt. of transmission oil in case I needed to add some at my local auto parts store and they gave me Valvoline Mercon V full synthetic. Is the Hyundai transmission oil synthetic or a blend?
On 3/12/08 5:01 PM, in article QoYBj.5834$FG2.101@trndny08, "Darby OGill"

I suspect it's synthetic, but there's nothing that indicates, so I don't know. DO NOT use the Mercon V.
Agree. Anything that says Dexron or Mercon should be avoided.
Mr. HyundaiTech, you and I have gone around a time or two about the compatibility of certain other fluids (like ATF+4). But those two fluids are the ones that my dealership also EXPRESSLY says you must stay away from.
Speaking of tranny fluid, Castrol has come out with a new set of "multi-vehicle transmission fluids." One of them is called "Import." It is the first fluid I have seen which is expressly labeled, "Approved for use in transmissions requiring Mitsubishi Diamond ATF SP, SPII, and SPIII." It also lists other import trannys and fluids.
It is apparently also being sold now under some store names. Any thoughts about this fluid, especially since the terms "Dexron" and "Mercon" are nowhere to be found on this fluid (though ATF+4 is)?

I've been using Amsoil's full synthetic for some time now. It's also Hyundia SPIII approved. I'm much more satisfied with it than the OEM fluid.

What does it do that makes you more satisfied? How can you tell the difference?

I had a problem with the OEM fluid burning. The Amsoil seems to have a higher operating temperature. ]I was having to change the OEM fluid twice a year. There is no transmission cooler on my 02 Accent, my commute is 150 miles round trip. The OEM fluid would get hot, turn brown, and smell burnt. The full synthetic Amsoil does not do any of these things.
Since I don't know the specs for all the different fluids, it's difficult for me to make a good judgment. If it says it meets SPIII, I figure there's something to that. We had some sort of multi-fluid at our dealership that was supposed to meet just about every spec except SPII, SPIII, and ATF+4, and we seemed to have no problems with it if used in the appropriate vehicles. I believe there were some problems when it was installed in ATF+4 vehicles. (Who'd have thought?)
Probably it'll be okay. If it were my car, I'd probably figure the savings wasn't enough to risk it, though.

My personal experience with our old 99 Elantra was that the fluid turned brown within a few thousand miles of use. Most shops that don't know any better will tell you that the fluid is bad even though it is perfectly normal on Hyundai's. Each manufacture's formula is different. On our Honda's even after 30k miles the fluid is usually the same color as the new fluid I put in it (red).
Hopefully you charged your service instead of paying cash. Go back to them and demand that they drain and fill the fluid with Hyundai OEM fluid. If you get any pushback call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Make sure you have information on hand and if you can get any word from Hyundai to back up your claim the better.
Worse case, take it to your dealer and explain to them what the other shop did. You'll probably need to do a drain and fill 3 times to ensure you get most of the fluid out since a drain and fill only drains a partial amount of fluid from the transmission.
Good Luck
Agree that within a few thousand miles, the fluid in these Hyundais and Kias does seem to turn brown.
I have not seen that with any other transmission fluid except for the Diamond ATF SPIII.
I also agree that it does not necessarily mean there is a problem, but is not the red coloring supposed to always keep it looking separate from engine oil?
I just did a drain and refill on my son's '02 Elantra after puttting 31,000 miles on the current fluid. The old fluid looked a LOT like engine oil coming out.

I think the real issue is that there's actually very little dye in the fluid, allowing particles from wearable components discolor the fluid quickly.