SANTAFE TRACTION CONTROL SWITCH

Hi,

I have an idea i wanted to run past you guys. I have a 2005 Santa Fe GLS AWD. I am concerned that I will have trouble this winter getting up my long, steep, snow filled, Connecticut driveway with the traction control turned on. ( this is due to experience with a Chevy Uplander this past winter, worst vehicle in the snow I have ever driven. I had to turn off traction control on the uplander to even hope to get up the drive). Anyway I understand that the Santa Fe Limited comes with a switch to turn off the traction control, while the gls doesn't. What are the chances that I can order a switch and panel from my local Hyundai dealer and replace the blank panel next to the driving light switch with the new switch and panel? (I'm guessing that the wiring harness will have a connector for the switch..... Is the proper circuitry already there? is a switch all I need?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
BILL

I just checked and couldn't find the schematic for traction control. I'm not familiar enough to know which Santa Fe's even have traction. I'll repost when I do some more checking.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Okay, I've located a schematic. Turns out the 3.5 has the switch and the

2.7 and 2.4 don't. I'd suspect the wiring for the switch isn't even there. The wiring from the control unit to the cluster is different depending on whether the vehicle has 2.7 or 3.5, leading me to believe there was no attempt to make the harnesses the same. Even so, this point is probably moot because the control modules are different also, meaning that the control module on the 2.7 probably doesn't even expect to see an on/off toggle.
Reply to
hyundaitech

Ahhhhh, my great idea has been smashed.... I didn't realize the difference was engine size, thanks for the fast info. I appreciate it.

Bill

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
bill

Bill, I wouldn't worry too much. My Santy has been absolutely perfect in ice and snow. I was able to negotiate some icy streets in the Manayunk section of Philadelphia (think San Francisco with real narrow streets) last winter that I would never have attempted in my previous front-wheel drive cars.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Actually, that was a pretty dumb response. I have no idea how steep your driveway is or how much snow you are talking about.

I was able to drive up a twisty unplowed street that is a 12% grade at its worst in about 7 inches of fresh snow.

Jon

"Zeppo @hotmail.com>" Bill,

Reply to
Zeppo

**The Internet does make the world seem a lot smaller though, eh? :)
**I used to have a 2001 Santa Fe LX and I had no problems driving it on my gravel, perpetually unplowed street in MI.

For CT references: I had no problems driving it in snow/ice around the northwestern section of CT for 2-3 weeks every December when I would go home to visit. I drove from West Hartford to T-town in an ice-storm one Xmas and I had no problems. My sister in Litchfield has a *nasty* steep driveway. Smooth and steady and the SF would drive right up when snow-covered.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Kaboomie,

Thanks; thats what I like to hear

Bill

kaboom wrote:

Reply to
bill

Zeppo,

Actually thats pretty close to my driveway about12% plenty of snow and

600 feet long. Toughest thing is you can't get a straight shot into the driveway apron. You have to slow down to turn in, can't get any momentum up. I'm curious to see how the traction control functions. On the uplander power to the wheel shuts down and and seems to modulate in a attempt to gain traction. {very noisy too) You loose ability to spin the tires. Personally I think the chevy system is crummy, the traction control kicks in even in a light rain. on a flat road.

Thanks, Bill

Zeppo Actually, that was a pretty dumb response. I have no idea how steep your

Reply to
bill

It's not the Chevy system that's crummy - it's your tires. Traction control only activates when a tire breaks loose. It's not smart enough to know that your tires are about to break loose.

Reply to
Mike Marlow