Serpentine Belt Sonata 04

How long have the Serpentine belt's on you Sonata's been lasting, I need to have a timing belt and tune up in the future dealer recomemded the
serpentine belt be changed also,( what the hell its only my money) $70 for the belt, I would rather spend extra money on plug wires($137) so I don't have to remove the plentium 10,000 miles after the plugs because there failing.
They want me to spend $1200.00 on the 60k service ouch!
Tom
Originally these belts were beginning to crack at about 3 years/30k miles, but they appear to have been lasting longer more recently. Unfortunately, I haven't reached a conclusion how long the newer belts have been lasting because I haven't seen enough in poor condition.
I called a local parts store regarding the serpentine belt for a price, they said $17.00 why is the dealer sticking it to me, at $70?
Tom

twfsa wrote:

Dealer markup. I'm sure Hyundai Korea sees little of that $70.

My guess would be that Hyundai America sees about $35 of that $70. That would be pretty much the standard markup in the high rent districts. I know it's a little less than $70 at my dealership, so I'm sure you're in a high price area.
I'd suspect the $17 belt costs the parts store around $8 to $10 of their own money.
Markup? if true more of a stickup! Seamus j. Wilson