Should I buy Hyundai?

Page 1 of 3
Hi, After I found out my Altima ('05)'s transmission is getting broke, I'm trying to buy new one and thinking about Elantra 07. And I have few questions and need some help from Hyundai-owner.
1. Does Elantra has Timing Belt or Timing Chain?
2. Elantra doesn't have engine immobilizer but I was told it has 'starter kill'. What is the starter kill?
3. I'm thinking about manual transmission because I had many of transmission problem with Civic, and Altima. Some people said manual transmission is very durable and reliable than automatic. Do you think getting a manual transmission is a good idea? If I buy Elantra, I wouldn't sell it until it is totally dead. -I know Hyundai's used car value. :'(
4. Does Elantra has old-style antenna for all model? I saw some picture of them, it was really ugly looking.
5. Do you, in overall, satisfies with your Hyundai?
Thanks for reading and I really appreciate for your comments.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Why don't you give it an allowance? Den it won't bees broke all da thyme.
Earache
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:56:04 GMT, "Eric G."

Baa daaa boom...............tish!

Nice.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Okay, I'm going to let a rare ultra-bias stick out a little here, but if you bought an Altima, you were virtually asking for trouble. No matter what magazines like Consumer Reports says, the Altima keeps showing itself to be one of the great lemons of all time.
And with all the good alternatives out there, including Hyundai, either the Elantra or Sonata (if you were in an Altima, I'm not sure why your first choice for Hyundai is the Elantra, but that's your business), I have seen little reason to buy an Altima, and that is since the first one rolled out.
Hyundai/Kia has been making the transition from the timing belt to chain, but don't know if it is quite complete yet. I believe, though, that the new Elantra does have a chain. As for the transmission, almost every Hyundai manual tranny owner on this site has reported good luck with them.
I'll let Mr. HyundaiTech or someone else explain that starter kill thing for you.
Good luck. But please, don't let your children grow up to drive Altimas.

1. The 2.0 engine in the Elantra has a timing belt. 2. Once the car is locked with the remote, the starter won't operate unless unlocked with the remote. 3. The clutch is labor intensive to replace. In my experience, replacing the clutch at a dealer is only about $500 cheaper than replacing an automatic transmission. 4. I'm not familiar with all the feature options. You should probably ask your local dealer about the antenna. 5. I don't have a Hyundai, but part quality has greatly increased since the days of poor reliability issues. On the other hand, there's been a decrease in assembly quality.
I have 3 Hyundai's in my family. 2 of my kids drive 5-speed Eantras. They love them and so do I. I have a 6 cylinder automatic Santa Fe. I will probably buy another one when this one goes.
The only problem I have had so far is that the snobby Yuppies don't approve of Hyundai's. It's not on their list of approved cars. If that doesn't bother you, and I hope it doesn't, they are very good cars.
My Hyundai dealer provides the best service I have ever received, and I also have 2 Honda's in my family.
Yes.......go for it, buy a Hyundai.
--
PAUL

Advise not getting manual for Elantra, the gearing is such that high gear on the highway is geared too low and the engine revs are high at speed with associated noise. Automatic is fine. (they may have changed this for '07 or '08's)
My '06 Elantra is very good so far, but looking at little things over the months you can see where Hyundai cuts corners in assembly. Nothing bad, but obviously not Toyota/Honda quality like my old Camry, Avalon, and Accords. Kinda flimsy in lots of places.
But it never has given me any problems at all. So we bought my wife a Tuscon, no problems after 5 months.
Lastly, gas mileage isn't going to be as good as a Toyota/Honda equivalent. My mixed(mostly city) is 26 mpg, though pure highway is around 40. Tuscon is 18ish in town, 25 on highway at best. I'm sure '08 models are better.
I'd buy another. -But- you do get what you pay for. Didn't pay more for a Toyota etc., and saved money for gas, good warranty, but trade-in may bite our butts. :)

The Elantra isn't as nice as an Avalon?....my, what a surprise. <grin>
I love my Sonata LX, have'nt noticed any cut corners in the 48 thousand miles I driven it.Well equipped, fun to drive, and handsome.
It is the favorite car of my wife and kids too, and our other car is a Volvo S60 T.

In the past, trade in for Hyundai has not been very good because of hte reputation of the early models, Hopefully, that has changed. OTOH, some of us keep cars for a long time and the difference between a Sonata and a Camry will be one worth $100, the other worth $120.

Everyone's opinion will be different, but I have the '07 Elantra with the 5 speed manual. Yeah, I wish they'd have given it an overdrive, but for what it is, it is smooth and quiet at highway speeds, much quieter than the competition I think.
A.
Aeschylus wrote:

According to this, the 2006 had an overdrive 5th gear. I can't believe that did away with that for the 2007 model.
http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2006_Models/Elantra/Specifications.asp
Matt
From 07 Elantra Media kit 5-speed manual Gear Ratios First     3.31:1 Second     1.96:1 Third     1.26:1 Fourth     0.98:1 Fifth     0.78:1 Reverse     3.58:1 Final-drive     4.19:1
4-speed automatic Gear Ratios First     2.92:1 Second     1.55:1 Third     1.00:1 Fourth     0.71:1 Reverse     2.48:1 Final-drive     3.85:1
Matt Whiting wrote:

jp103 wrote:

Dual overdrive gears! :-)
Matt

Overdrive is a meaningless term today anyway. The final drive ratio is what matters, and having enough engine torque to move the car at the desired speed. .
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Overdrive has the same meaning today as it has always had.
And the overall drive ratio has always been what has mattered.
Matt

In the dictionary, yes. As a means of being more economical or saving engine wear, not necessarly. Putting a .90 overdrive grear in a car then changing the rear from 3.08 to a 3.36 so it won't lug won't save you anything

Exactly. Which is more economical, a regular trans with a 1:1 high gear and a 3.08 rear of a 4.56 with overdrive? Arguments can be made for both being best for different reasons but a blanket statement that "overdrive is better" is not correct. Engines have changed too, with differing power and torque curves than the Blue Flame 6.
What gear is "best" varies depending on needs. I sometimes use a Chevy Silverado with a 5 speed and we rarely put any weight in it. IMO, the gearing sucks for our use, but is probably great for the guy that always hauls 800+ pounds of material. Cruises at 70 at a fairly low RPM, but 90% of its use is below 35 mph. At about 45, 4th is too low, 5th is too high.
wrote in message

Don't know - what is the overdrive ratio? You're leaving out pieces of the equation Edwin.

Overdrive is overdrive Edwin. It's an overdrive for a given rear end ratio. It's what takes you past 1:1. Overdrive is indeed better - when you're talking the realm of overdrive, which is economy. Regardless of final ration, overdrive is better.

Yeahbut, that has nothing to do with overdrive. That's just a matter of the wrong vehicle.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yes, I did for a reason. The person that stated he wished he had overdrive made his statement without saying anything more. My point is, having overdrive is not necessarily a benefit. It may be, in the right engine and gear combination, but it may hurt performance in other combinations. There are many factors to take into consideration. Putting in a very high gear ration in and of itself is the necessarily a good thing.
wrote in message

I made the original comment about wishing for an overdrive. Since 5th gear apprently technically is an overdrive, what I should have said is that I wish the Elantra had a 6th gear. To me, it just feels like it needs one spinning 3000 RPM before it even gets to 70.
A.