Should I buy Hyundai?

Page 3 of 3
wrote in message

You've really confused me now Edwin. Stop laughing - I know that's not a hard thing to do. But - overdrive is always a gear.

Those 4.56 rear ends were awsome. Neck snappers. But - they cruised at about 5 grand at 60 mph. That's a tranny that screamed for an overdrive.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

As opposed to a non-overdrive gear.

We eventually swapped it out for a 4.11 The other guy did most of the work just to get it. It was a fast car, three two barrel carbs. It was the fasted car at or high school and caused quite stir racing a '58 Ford right in front of the school. You could do things like that back in the 60's.
wrote in message

You can do things like that now too, you just can't post it on a usenet group :-)
Eric

Yes... I know.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
wrote in message

It fits as I've been saying all along. We're not really saying much different. I understand well the history of overdrive, but the overdrive in a car today serves the same purpose as it ever did - to reduct engine rpm and save fuel. Even in the good old days it served the purpose of saving fuel. You are correct that today's engines are more efficient, but they are indeed designed with an overdrive in mind.
The final drive ratio is a determining factor but not the single determining factor. Regardless of what the final ratio is, an overdrive is still going to have the same effect of dropping engine rpm's at cruise. That's all overdrive was intended to do.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
> GUEST wrote: > Hi, > After I found out my Altima ('05)'s transmission is getting broke, I'm > trying to buy new one and thinking about Elantra 07. And I have few > questions and need some help from Hyundai-owner. > > 1. Does Elantra has Timing Belt or Timing Chain? > > 2. Elantra doesn't have engine immobilizer but I was told it has > 'starter kill'. What is the starter kill?
> > 3. I'm thinking about manual transmission because I had many of > transmission problem with Civic, and Altima. Some people said manual > transmission is very durable and reliable than automatic. Do you think > getting a manual transmission is a good idea? If I buy Elantra, I > wouldn't sell it until it is totally dead. -I know Hyundai's used car > value. :'( >
> 4. Does Elantra has old-style antenna for all model? I saw some > picture of them, it was really ugly looking. > > 5. Do you, in overall, satisfies with your Hyundai? > > Thanks for reading and I really appreciate for your comments.
My 02 Sonata has been a good car with almost 70,000 miles on it. It has had one recurring problem though. The brake rotors keep warping. The dealer turned the rotors 2 times and replaced the rotors once. The car is still under bumper to bumper warranty but now the dealer will not do the repair under warranty. I am very disappointed with this decision and will most likely buy a Honda next time. Based on my experience Honda's are designed and manufactured with better quality. And the Hyundai warranty is not always honored.
On Jun 17, 1:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

-------------- I HAVE ISSUES WITH ELANTRAS ...
One is the battery!
I HAVE A 2004 ELANTRA GLS, AND THE BATTERY IS almost impossible to replace and service!
That's if you can find one outside a dealer, where they're 40-percent more expensive than at parts dealers. Installation? That'll be up to $50 extra!
Hyundai DOESN'T want you even try to:
1) Check the fluid level in the cells.
2) Check the body and terminals for corrosion.
3) Remove the old battery and install a new one.
These tasks are almost impossible for the average motorist BECAUSE THE BATTERY SITS IN AN ENCLOSED, SEALED CASE! You can't see much less inspect the cell fluid levels. And half of the bolts under the hood on the driver's side have to be removed to free-up the battery.
See, Hyundai wants you to go to a HYUNDAI DEALER, where a battery costs $90, plus up to $50 more to install it. And at most Hyundai dealers I know, you have to leave your car for an entire day -- then hope it's ready when you return in the late afternoon or early evening.
"Aw, we're sorry, but you see we got real busy and couldn't get to yours. But tomorrow!"
AdvanceAuto Parts, AutoZone, Olympic Auto Parts, and Batteries Plus sell the same battery for $52 to $69, some including free installation.
Only problem? They can't get a sufficient supply of them to keep 'em in stock!
And that's what your conniving, inscrutable Hyundai folks want -- to force you to spend more on a new battery than a normal car owner would expect. Parts companies list the Elantra batteries as "special." And that they are!
Additionally, the OWNER'S MANUAL has neither a diagram or instructions for accessing and servicing your Hyundai Elantra battery. Just a one- paragraph entry that says, in effect, Be careful when servicing the battery."
I've had my 2004 Elantra GLS for 3 years and the battery is already shot. Needless to say, with problems also with the air bags (two recalls), brakes (full brake job done already), power locks (unpredictable), and engine noise and vibration, I've bought my last Hyundai product!
If I were you, I'd stay away from Nissan, too. Poor frequency of maintenance after the 2nd year. Toyotas are much better Hondas are good but overpriced.
My advice to Hyundai? Hold up on building those factories in the U.S. Too many one-time customers could make for sluggish, then anemic, sales.

Do you think they are the only ones? When is the last time you saw a battery that was easy, if at all possible, to check fluid levels? I have an '01 LeSabre and I've never seen the battery. I'll replace it before winter since it is the original, but the only price I can find is $100 for the battery. It is under the back seat so I have no idea how hard or difficult it is to install. I'm going to take it to Advanced Auto that advertises free installation.
Ok, enough spam. Please...I can only endure so much... quit hogging bandwidth and leave the group!!!
Steve
--
NW AZ home for sale in growing area near Laughlin, NV-

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rfs/370324491.html