Skip fuel filter change?

It says in the owners man. that the fuel filter is supposed to be changed at 42 mos. (which comes before I hit 52,500) I asked my regular oil and lube place about doing it, and they said they couldn't because the job was too complicated involving dropping the gas tank etc. I called the dealership to see what they would charge, and the service rep told me not to worry about it. I asked him, "so not having it changed at the scheduled 42 mos. won't void the warranty? He replied "absolutely not". He said they very rarely go bad, and the labor involved in replacing them isn't worth it, unless the thing is actually shot. So, am I safe in following his recommendation?

Reply to
Fred

After doing a little checking in the archives, I'm wondering if my scheduled maintenance booklet isn't referring to some models that have an external standard paper type fuel filter in addition to the one inside the tank?

Reply to
Fred

For the Sonata, it's 30,000 miles. You are supposed to replace the fuel filter at 37,500 miles. This of course is impossible, as you have to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. You are also supposed to replace the oxygen sensors every 45,000 miles.

These are items directly from both the owner's manual, and the Sonata specific information on Hyundai's web site. The big question is: What happens if you don't spend the $1000 or so for the oxygen sensors, fuel pump, and labor?

Reply to
Bob
30,000 or 36,000....... Sorry. The point is that Hyundai comes up with these replacement intervals but even THEY don't follow all of them! Has anyone changed the evap filter in the wheel well?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks Tom, that makes me feel better. It seems infeasible that a shop would actually discourage someone from getting work done, so it must be completely impractical. And considering the expense involved, they can go right ahead and void my warranty for not agreeing to something so ridiculous. I'm miffed enough about having to get the timing belt changed. (I know that has to be done regardless of warranty, most of which run out before the replacement is needed).

Reply to
Zed

It's not necessary to drop the tank. If the filter is indeed in the tank, there is an access panel through which the pump and filter can be removed.

There's no big consequence to not changing the filter. The worst thing that will happen is that your car won't run right. At that time, you'll need to diagnose the problem and replace the fuel filter (if it indeed is the problem). Personally, I've only ever seen a fuel filter cause a problem once, and it was an aftermarket fuel filter that didn't allow enough fuel flow. The car was approximately a 1989 vintage Excel.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I've replaced several at the left rear corner under the vehicle. Usually, when they fail, they don't vent properly. This causes the check engine lamp to come on and difficulty fueling the vehicle.

I've also cleaned out some on the filler neck. It seems spiders like to build nests there.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Yes, it'll cause a check engine lamp. And yes, I'm referring to the pump auto-shutoff continually engaging.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech