Slow tire leaks on my tires over time. 97 Elantra

I have had a number of slow tire leaks I have had to fix on my 97 Elantra. Most of the time it is rust. Did having fix-a-flat in all four tires mess it up when I bought it at
63 K miles in 1999. Now have 172 K miles.
Anyone else have this? Thanks

Where is the rust? If there are holes rusted through the wheels, I'd think it unsafe to drive. Or is it rust at the bead? Once sealed properly, that should not be a problem. Once rust starts, it is difficult to stop.
Never heard of Fix A Flat causing that problem, but it can cause others when it comes time to do a proper repair.
Just on the inside of the tire. I had the fix-a-flat removed when the wheels where riding funny in the winter time back in 1999. Any idea if having the tire removed and painting the inside of the rim would help?
Thanks

Paint does prevent rust, but I'm not sure how rust is causing slow leaks on the tires. Is it where the tire bead meets the rim? If that is gone bad, it will be a bit more difficult to get it right to make a good seal. It has to be sanded, then primed and painted. You may want a good tire shop to look at the wheels.

piece of metal in the right rear tire. He did not spend too much time sanding the rim (where the tire makes the seal to it) down and the rim did look good over all. Last time he did the left rear tire and did have to spend some more time sanding and said it was the rim and where the valve steam seats on the rim.

I have a slow leak on the left rear tire on my 8 month old Elantra that I have to call the dealer about on Tuesday. Grrrr . . .