Slow tire leaks on my tires over time. 97 Elantra

I have had a number of slow tire leaks I have had to fix on my 97 Elantra. Most of the time it is rust. Did having fix-a-flat in all four tires mess it up when I bought it at

63 K miles in 1999. Now have 172 K miles.

Anyone else have this? Thanks

Reply to
kjones1200

Where is the rust? If there are holes rusted through the wheels, I'd think it unsafe to drive. Or is it rust at the bead? Once sealed properly, that should not be a problem. Once rust starts, it is difficult to stop.

Never heard of Fix A Flat causing that problem, but it can cause others when it comes time to do a proper repair.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just on the inside of the tire. I had the fix-a-flat removed when the wheels where riding funny in the winter time back in 1999. Any idea if having the tire removed and painting the inside of the rim would help?

Thanks

Reply to
kjones1200

Paint does prevent rust, but I'm not sure how rust is causing slow leaks on the tires. Is it where the tire bead meets the rim? If that is gone bad, it will be a bit more difficult to get it right to make a good seal. It has to be sanded, then primed and painted. You may want a good tire shop to look at the wheels.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
kjones1200