Snow Chains

I live in Southern Calf and never have occasion to drive in the snow. In other words I don't drive up into the mountains in the winter time.

I did not have occasion to take particular notice of an entry in the owners manual until a long time after I purchased the car new.

My Sonata is a 2000 year model and has R205/60/r15 tires. The owners manual states that - "tire chains should not be used on the R205/60/R15 tires" It goes on to say that there is not enough clearance to use chains on them.

I wonder how many people have found this out the hard way?

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

I've lived in the northeast and New England all my life and the last time I saw a set of chains on a car was about 1963 or so. I guess they still exist in some areas, but not too many places. I've hear you can rent a set crossing the Rockies and they take them off on the other side on the way down.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I live in MA and can't think of anyone that owns studded tires, let alone chains.

Reply to
Raoul

In the mountains of California so-called chain controls are put into effect by the Highway Patrol on the mountain roads when they are snow covered. There are varying levels of controls being enforced depending on the depth and coverage of the snow. Under some conditions having snow tires and a set of chains in the trunk will get your through the check-point. other times having four-wheel drive will get you through the check-point and then other times nothing but installed chains will get you though.

Still remembering that night over thirty years ago when I came through the Donner Pass on one of the worst nights of the year. When I came down the other side and was ready to remove the chains they were worn beyond ever being used second time.

When the most stringent chain controls are in effect there will be a group of independent chain installers known as chain monkeys waiting to mount and de mount your chains. It has been years since I actually was in the mountains in the winter time but I tend to believe that the prices today are around $45-$50 to put them on and around half that to take them off.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

Old_Timer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I bought a set of chains back in 1987 for a Honda Civic I owned then. I used them in the Cascades on several occasions. I made it through some of the worst weather I have seen or will ever see in my lifetime. I still have those chains in my garage. I brought them with me during the blizzard of 1996 here in NJ, but I never even thought about needing them. After the storm, when I was taking them out of my trunk, I realized that they were for a 13" tire anyway. I had 15" tires on my vehicle at the time, so it was a good thing I didn't need them!!

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I used to be a Fire Fighter in the 80's. We would have to put chains on when we would get a nor'easter.

It would take a few hrs to chain everything up. By then the snow would be stopped.

It would help on the back roads. But it was funning riding on the back going down the interstate on wet pavement doing 25 mph with chains on!Then once in a while we would loose a spreader and have to stop (with light still going) to fix it.

We would drop a spanner wrenches between our legs (Made for uncoupling hoses)if people would not back off from following to close.

Reply to
Hammbone

I was a volunteer FF back then myself. Riding on the back step was fun, but amazingly dangerous. Every pothole launched you in the air. When you're

Reply to
Raoul