Snow Driving

We got pounded with snow here in NJ and I got a chance (not by choice) to do some real driving in it. I had to do a 60 mile round-trip drive to pick up my son. The trip to get him was in blizzard conditions. It was snowing at least 2" per hour the entire time. The roads had been plowed of the heavy stuff, but still had at least 6" on them. Visibility was near zero.

It's a 2006 Sonata GLS V6. I could have honestly guessed that I was driving an all-wheel drive car. In fact, earlier in the morning I did drive a 4x4 pickup on a drive to my work and home, and it was not much better, although this was mostly back roads and were not plowed.

This is by far the best car I have owned for a snow event. And driving no more than about 30 MPH gave me 28 MPG for this trip!

Eric

P.S. - We got 25" of snow with 5-6' drifts!! Everything around here is still closed today.

Reply to
Eric G.

I live in North NJ. I went out driving sunday 10 am. The roads had been plowed once recently but snow was still accumulating. Generally, the car behaved well, but....in all my years of driving, I never got stuck, in the snow..ever..until about 11 am. I pulled over to go to a store and tried to drive away after i returned. I turned off the ESC and tried to rock back and forth but to no avail. Had to spend 10 minutes to dig the car out. First time in my life (driving geo prism, toyota corrola, dodge van, datsun 200 sx). I did not park in a drift; there was some lose snow but I used the same amount of caution as I always have.

Maybe it was just my time. But I woul not compare to a 4wd.

Reply to
zigipha

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1139863020.532863.37110 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Well, I certainly can't argue about what happened to you. The only time in my life I ever got stuck was trying to climb a mountain in a 4x4 truck in the blizzard of 1996. I needed a track-hoe to come get me outta that one.

I've had a Dodge Colt, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra, GMC 4x4 pickup, Chevy

4x2 pickup, Ford F-150 4x2 pickup, Dodge Neon, '97, '02 and '03 Elantra's and now the '06 Sonata. Other than the 4x4, this is the best car I've ever driven in the snow. And other than the Dodge Colt, I never had snow tires on any vehicle.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

The Mike Marlow entity posted thusly:

I replaced the Michelins on my wife's '04 Elantra at about 13,000 km. It now sports Nokeans (Spelling?). Best all-purpose tires we've ever had.

Reply to
Oleg Lego