Solid tires on 2006 Sonata LX

Page 2 of 2
Brian Nystrom wrote:

In my opinion, the latter is the only really good way to compute average MPG. And mileage varies widely based on a number of factors. I had an 84 Accord that would get 36 typically on the interstate at 60 or so. Yet one day I got 46 MPG on a full tank. Believe me?
How about if I tell you I was driving across the upper midwest on very flat terrain, at 55 MPH ... with, and I'm not exagerating, a 50-60 MPH direct tailwind! It was eery. The car was almost silent at 55 MPH as the relative wind speed was varying between probably -5 and +5 MPH. It sounded like you were sitting still revving the engine a little. It is amazing how much noise the wind makes at normal cruise. And with the wind drag virtually gone, the mileage is truly impressive.
Matt

Maybe we need to start using that shark skin they use on Olympic swim suits. :)
--
Bob

Deck wrote:

Deck,
Other posters have given good advice. I will not comment on the mpg issue.
As noted, ride quality of any car with even a slightly "sporty" suspension, 225/50 series, V-speed-rated grand touring tires and 17-inch wheels will feel quite rough compared to a Grand Marquis. Anyone who suggested otherwise was less than candid.
If I may ask, why did you choose the Sonata LX for your next car after a Grand Marquis? They're pretty far apart in most buyers' eyes; I doubt too many new car shoppers look seriously at both. The Sonata that's (relatively) closest to the Marquis is the GLS with the V-6. That has 16-inch wheels and higher, slightly narrower tires along with a slightly softer suspension than the LX.
Maybe the change from RWD to FWD plays a part in it, too.
As others have said, if you want to spend the money, switching tires and/or wheels might help. Here's a thought: A switch to 16-inch wheels and 205/60/16 tires would almost perfectly match your OEM tire size, in re speedometer reading. It would also come closer to the tire/wheel size you had on the Merc. (Would also be better in the snow/ice, all else equal, if that's an issue.)
Of course the car would handle differently, which is something to consider....but that seems to be what you want. And this would not be cheap.
Also you might want to bag the grand touring tires and switch to regular all-seaon radials. At 205/60/16, you could try something like Goodyear Comfortred or Michelin Harmony. The Comfortred is H-speed rated and the Harmony is T, if that matters to you.
Tire shop clerks will tell you it's bad to buy a tire with a lower speed rating than the OEM tire---which may be true in general, especially for spirited drivers---but I don't think dropping from V to H is a big issue, considering what you want out of your car.
(Also since the Comfortred and Harmony are high-quality tires. The Harmony is supposedly a tad rougher and noisier, per tirerack.com reviews. The OEM Michelins on the Sonata LX get poor reviews on that site, BTW.)
Anyway, good luck. I hope you work things out so you get a ride you enjoy with your new car.
Regards, Eric M
Thanks guys for all the info. I have had 4 lincolns and 6 mercurys, therefore I am used to them. I guess I was just venting my spleen as my wife was gritching about the back seat ride on sorta bad highway. I bought the Sonata 'cause I liked the new look and I already have a 2003 Elantra tha I really like. I checked tires and one had 40 lbs and other 3 had 35-37 lbs. reduced to 3o lbs and now seems to be better. we'll get used to it!!