Solid tires on 2006 Sonata LX

That explains a lot, as trip computers are not always accurate unless you average the mileage over several tanks of gas. It's more accurate to calculate the mileage manually (distance divided by gallons at fill-up). Averaging that over several tanks improves accuracy, too.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

It sounds like it's time to get a new insurance company as the above is complete BS! Seriously, shop around. If you happen to live in any of the states that AMICA services, I highly recommend them.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

In my opinion, the latter is the only really good way to compute average MPG. And mileage varies widely based on a number of factors. I had an

84 Accord that would get 36 typically on the interstate at 60 or so. Yet one day I got 46 MPG on a full tank. Believe me?

How about if I tell you I was driving across the upper midwest on very flat terrain, at 55 MPH ... with, and I'm not exagerating, a 50-60 MPH direct tailwind! It was eery. The car was almost silent at 55 MPH as the relative wind speed was varying between probably -5 and +5 MPH. It sounded like you were sitting still revving the engine a little. It is amazing how much noise the wind makes at normal cruise. And with the wind drag virtually gone, the mileage is truly impressive.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Maybe we need to start using that shark skin they use on Olympic swim suits. :)

Reply to
Bob Adkins