Sonata 3.3L Radio Specification in the UK

Hi all,

When I was considering purchasing my Sonata 3.3L, I asked if the radio could play MP3 files. The car arrived and it cannot. It is fitted with 6 CD changer type. Hyundai UK are investigating the matter. I see that the USA vehicles have a

6 CD changer and it can play MP3 files. Could a USA type radio be fitted in my UK specification car? cheers, nick
Reply to
NickNike

Don't you guys have different spacing for the AM and FM frequencies? Here FM is 88.5 to 107.9 with 200 kHz spacing.... 99.1, 99.3, 99.5, etc. AM is

540 to 1700 kHz with 10 kHz spacing. 660, 680, 690, etc. I thought you had something like 9 kHz spacing for AM. If it's the same as here, then it probably will work. If the channel spacing / frequency range is different, then it won't work too well. I'm sure you've got sources for aftermarket radios that will work just fine.
Reply to
Bob

Thank you Bob, I have since learnt that there are differences in steps, so you are correct, a USA unit will not play in the UK. I would just hear static.

The USA 6 CD changer unit will play MP3, the UK 6 CD changer will not. Why? :o(

cheers, nick

Reply to
NickNike

The US radio units are made by Visteon; the MP3 capability is theirs rather than Hyundais. Your UK version might have come from a different supplier, or might be from a different parts bin.

Did you happen to get the "ipod" > Thank you Bob, I have since learnt that there are differences in steps, so

Reply to
PMDR

No, no Ipod connector here. Although I see you can buy a radio unit now, and it looks like you connect it to the Ipod (or anything else), set a frequency, and then tune the car radio to receive. I think the radio is Mobis. Another thing. They advertise it as a RDS unit. I thought this type would display the station name. This radio only shows the frequency?

cheers, nick

Reply to
NickNike