Sonata Gas Mileage?

Page 3 of 3

an
Many of us test drove 4 cylinders with automatics and found the performance to be less than remarkable. Quite poor, in fact. Therefore, we own six cylinders. I'm glad you like your 4, but please don't suggest that because a 4 is brisk enough for you, that it should satisfy the needs of everyone.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Very true indeed Mike! i test drove a few 4 cylinders b4 giving in & going for what I felt was "adequate" power and picking up the V6. Yeah in response to the OP I feel an average of 17 is pretty good. I have a mix of highway(30%) & city driving & get an average of 17. I once did get 32 on the highway only driving through Virginia ( not faster than 55mph)

You guys must be pretty hard on the pedal. I tend to "open 'er up" a bit nowadays too, but I am still getting about 22 MPG with 19,000 on the odometer. Although with the cold here the last week, I only managed about 19.5 MPG on my last tank.
Eric

You can't say "hard on" in a usenet forum Eric. Geeze. I do like to feel acceleration but I'm not really too hard on the pedal. My wife's Sonata gets around 23 around town (roughly 1/3 interstate, 2/3 non-interstate) even with me driving it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
OK, lets get real here. If one drives 15,000 miles a year at 26 MPG average one uses 577 gallons of gas If one drives 15,000 miles a year at 22 MPG average one uses 682 gallons of gas
The difference is 105 gallons At $2.19 per gallon the difference is $229.95 for the entire year.
IMHO if $229.95 for the year is going to make a difference it is in all likelihood not a good idea to purchase either car.
Double Tap

of
of
Huh??? Sorry guy - I don't get the reason for this post.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Let me see, Oh I guess someone forgot the subject of the thread is Sonata Gas Mileage and some people were discussing there mileage figures.
Double Tap

gallons
gallons
Hmmmmm... I must be slow this weekend. I still can't see how the comments from Eric and myself warranted the "OK, let's get real here". I guess I just don't understand how what you were trying to say, fit into what Eric and I had just said.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike,
I only stated what I feel. What you feel is your business. I know that I can pass safely on a two lane road, accelerate at a good rate when needed, and move up and down hills without a struggle. I have 15,000 miles on my car and see no reason for needing more power. Your opinion is respected just as well as mine. Different strokes for different folks.
Tom

needed,
Tom:
I simply responded to your rather pointed post below. Please note your comment and tone. You admonished people to quit being wasteful and do as you do, since you consider it to be enough. I think I was kind enough in my response. If you are going to tell people what to do, you better be prepared for a response that differs from your own opinion. Or - don't tell other people what to do.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Where do you live? I am in the Midwest, and it has been bitterly cold here. In Winter, the gas mileage in all my cars suffers pretty significantly, and when it is cold, it always will. But they all come up in Summer nicely.
There have been some other long threads about Sonata fuel mileage in the past. Archive and read those - they are interesting.
Tom Wenndt

Pat,
I have an 06 LX with the 3.3L engine also. It took us to about 12K to see any significant improvement in mileage over what you are seeing. Since the car hit ~15K to the current 25K I have seen very consistent numbers with each tankful and have had several instances to validate the numbers with use relegated strictly to city or highway driving only for a full tanks worth. What I have been getting is 23.4 City / 28.1 Hwy. I have a tendency to have a lead foot, so my guess is that the numbers could be improved upon somewhat if applied a more gradual approach to reaching crusing speeds :-)
KW
"KW" <keith_warrennospamatallteldotnet> wrote in

KW, I have to agree with you here. I am running slightly less than you on the city average, and slightly higher on the highway numbers, but overall you and I are pretty close. My lead foot only comes out once in a while. But I also noticed an improvement at the 16-17K level, and I am currently pushing 19K myself.
Eric