Sonata radio options--some thoughts

Is there any late breaking news about adding after market cell phone, iPod, GPS stuff to 2006/07 Sonatas?
I'm a gadget freak and just got a new Sonata and want to add cell phone, iPod, and GPS devices. I'm salivating over the MS Sync stuff they are doing with Ford.
But the options available on Sonata look pretty bleak especially with being able to use their steering wheel buttons. Seems like someone should come out any time now with a unit that will do it all (cell, MP3 player, GPS) and that replaces the Sonata radio.The Motorola hands-free kits and the Parrot kits look like good choices for cell phone but I really don't want to have to install three different devices: cell, ipod, and GPS. Besides the Motorola and Parrot are fairly old technology.
I imagine the cars of the future will have cell phones built in. The hardware is pretty cheap--it's the useage fees that the phone companies are looking for.
Meanwhile has anyone had any experience with adding to Sonata? I haven't had a chance to take off the upper console to see how difficult it will be. Looks like there is plenty of room in front for a double din device but maybe there is limited space behind. And how about the proprietary steering-wheel remote? Looks like it is a resistor-capacitor-switch arrangement that sends a slightly different pulse each time one of the buttons is pressed. That's going to be a nightmare to decode.
Are there any resources on the web for Hyundai/Sonata experimenters--DIY groups, forums, etc?
I looked at the switch after I read your post. The volume - mode -etc. switch presents a specific resistance to the radio for each function. There's a chart that provides resistance vs. function on Hmaservice. The next step would be getting the aftermarket makers to read that resistance, or designing something that gives a logic output in response to the read resistance.
[...]
Thanks. Do you happen to recall where the resistance/function info is? I've browsed around quite a bit in hmaservice and haven't seen it.

Have a search at
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/f70-4g-2006-sonata.htm
Several threads on radio fitting, etc and some very learned people. nn
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Is there any late breaking news about adding after market cell phone, iPod, GPS stuff to 2006/07 Sonatas?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'm a gadget freak and just got a new Sonata and want to add cell phone, iPod, and GPS devices. I'm salivating over the MS Sync stuff they are doing with Ford.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>But the options available on Sonata look pretty bleak especially with being able to use their steering wheel buttons. Seems like someone should come out any time now with a unit that will do it all (cell, MP3 player, GPS) and that replaces the Sonata radio.The Motorola hands-free kits and the Parrot kits look like good choices for cell phone but I really don't want to have to install three different devices: cell, ipod, and GPS. Besides the Motorola and Parrot are fairly old technology.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I imagine the cars of the future will have cell phones built in. The hardware is pretty cheap--it's the useage fees that the phone companies are looking for. </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Meanwhile has anyone had any experience with adding to Sonata?&nbsp; I haven't had a chance to take off the upper console to see how difficult it will be. Looks like there is plenty of room in front&nbsp;for a double din device but maybe there is limited space behind. And how about the proprietary steering-wheel remote? Looks like it is a resistor-capacitor-switch arrangement that sends a slightly different pulse each time one of the buttons is pressed. That's going to be a nightmare to decode.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Are there any resources on the web for Hyundai/Sonata experimenters--DIY groups, forums, etc?</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=