Sonata too fast???

Page 1 of 2
A fellow at work bought a 200 Sonata V-6 for his wife. After about 7000 miles, she decided it was too fast for her and the traded it for a 4 cylinder Camry.
Her complaint, it seems, it that the throttle is too sensitive and it takes off too fast. It does seem to me at times you need less pressure than normal to accelerate, but not uncontrollable. Certainly not a reason for me to buy less power :)
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It sounds like someone needs to learn how to drive.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

That may be true... but the throttle on my 2006 Sonata is way too sensitive. I regret trading my Elantra GT for it now.
-B
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Maybe, but the electronic throttle on the Sonata is WAY too sensitive and the gain is too high, especially during initial travel. Certainly not uncontrollable, but very annoying and something they should address in future designs.
Matt
Hey Matt, Do you have a stick shift or automatic? I don't notice the sensitive throttle on my Sonata automatic.and my wife hasn't complained. AND BELIEVE ME, she would complain!!!!! :o) It might also just be on the V6. I have the 4 cyl, but I think you do, also.
Tom

Speaking for Matt, he has the 4 cyl MT. I have the V6 AT and notice the same thing, although I have become very used to it now. If I drive the truck at work for more than a few hours in a given day, I notice it to the max in the Sonata when I get in at the end of the day. Otherwise, I don't really notice it much any more.
It would be nice if they would at least address it to some extent.
Eric

Since my original post, I had the fellow at work drive my car this afternoon. He said it was the same sensitivity as his former Sonata. He would sometimes spin the wheels at a stop sign and his wife was afraid to drive it once the snow starts to fall. I've only had a few instances where I did accelerate faster than intended. Not unsafe or wheel spinning, but it does take a very light touch compared to other cars/trucks I drive on a regular basis. . I think it could be fine tuned a bit.

Wow. I have the completely opposite complaint. My previous car was a Grand Am GT, where you just have to look at the gas pedal to start the front wheels spinning. When I went from that car to this one (V6 AT), I stepped on the gas, and the car didn't hardly move.
Now that I've become accustomed to this one, whenever I go back to the Grand Am, I consistently spin the tires on that car.
Don P. wrote:

What year and engine in the Grand Am? I get them for rental cars often and the throttle isn't even close to being as touchy as my Sonata.
Matt

2003 GT (V6)3.4L. All the torque when you just barely tap on the pedal.As you push farther, not much more power with that engine. I think it's only 185 ponies in it.
Don P. wrote:

I've never had a GT version as a rental, but all have had the V-6 engine. I found the throttle on them fairly stiff, about the same as my Chrysler minivans. The pickup off the line was good to be sure, but it took a fair bit of throttle pressure to get that performance. The Sonata on the other hand has almost no throttle feel at all. If I have my normal New Balance sneakers on, I almost can't feel either the throttle or the clutch. I have to drive barefoot to get any decent feel of the throttle. Now my Chevy truck on the other hand is just the opposite. Both throttle and clutch take a fair bit of pressure, but then trucks are made to be driven with boots on and you need that pressure for feedback. My minivan is in between the truck and the Sonata with respect to throttle pressure. I don't know what the values are in pouns, but I don't think the Sonata takes more than 2-3 lbs of force to move the throttle. I'd guess my truck is 15-20 lbs and my minivan probably 8-12, but these are just wild guess as I don't have any easy way to measure the force required. It would be fun to know though.
Matt

I'm glad you posted this since I am having the same experience with a 2004 3.5L Santa Fe that I just bought. I thought I wanted the bigger engine for safety reasons in case I ever need to accelerate quickly while entering traffic etc. I bought 4WD because I want to have that available for driving in snow but I can already see myself just spinning wheels every I try to start out on snow-filled roads.
Everyone keeps telling me "maybe you just have to get used to it" but it's been about 2 weeks so far and that's not happening. I have been driving for 41 years, have driven many different vehicles and trucks, and even have a job now where I have to drive 6 or 7 different vehicles from a fleet -- and I never experienced this in any other vehicles. I am actually thinking of selling the Santa Fe that I just bought and either buying a 2.7L or looking at other 4WD vehicles.
One thing I have figured out helps a little. I place my foot on the gas pedal where it is unusually high up on the pedal and I am able to modulate the startups a little better, but it's still a pain to have to deal with.

I'm not going to sell the car because of it and I don't have a "serious" problem, but . . . . . .
Anything that comes up with so many people not liking the sensitivity must mean something. In 45 years of driving, there have been some touchy clutches, touchy brakes, etc. My wife has little wheel time so far on the Sonata, but she feels it is very sensitive. Perhaps is can somehow be adjusted, just like the mouse sensitivity on your computer. That would be nice.
If enough people mention it, perhaps Hyundai will take a new look at the throttle setup.
I've done that several times with my XG350 05 model Never did know what was causing it. Could be a problem in snow country.
wrote in message

Hopefully, someone at Hyundai has the job of tracking online Hyundai-related newsgroups such as this one. It's free and uncensored public feedback, and it provides the kind of information that companies pay PR firms to collect through focus groups, surveys, etc.
Eric G. wrote:

Yes, I'm probably the same way. If I drive the Sonata exclusively, then I get more used to it. However, if I drive my truck a couple of days and then the Sonata, it is really noticeable again. IMO, a vehicle shouldn't be so different from the norm that ir requires getting used to again after a two day hiatus.
Probably the most annoying is the PIO (pilot induced oscillation for you non-aviators) that occasionally happens. If I drive over a rolling "washboard" series of bumps, occasionally the first bump causes my foot to either depress or back off the accelerator a little causing either deceleration or acceleration (which is quick given the high gain throttle), which then coincides with the next bump in phase which makes the next accelerate/decelerate event even more pronounced, etc. I've had cases where I had to push in the clutch to stop this.
I think some pre driveline dynamics also comes into play here with the stick shift. I've noticed several times now when descending a fairly steep hill in first gear that if the engine is at 2-3,000 RPM holding back on the hill and I hit a bump at all, the car will go into this oscillation back and forth as the driveline winds up an then unwinds against the engine. It'll get your head bobbing back and forth! Again, sometimes it will damp out on its own, but there is a restaurant near my house with such a driveway and I've had to depress the clutch on occasion to stop the oscillation. I suspect the springs in the clutch disk aren't stiff enough, but that is only a guess. It is also hard to make a smooth first to second shift for what I suspect is the same reason. Unless I get lucky and hit it just right, it either bogs down which unloads the clutch disk springs and then you get a jerk when they wind back or you get too much throttle and wind them up and get a jerk when they unwind. The only way I can get consistently smooth 1-2 shifts is to rev to at least 4000 rpm. The 2-3 and higher shifts are fairly easy to make as the gearing is on your side then.

I agree. And this would be trivial to fix. Add a stiffer throttle spring and reprogram the gain curve.
Matt
Tom wrote:

Yes, I have the stick and the 4 cylinder. I find the throttle to be very touchy, especially when starting out, but even things like going over a bump when going slow in first or second gear can cause the car to lurch ahead from the slight movement of my foot from the bump. I've never had another car like this in that regard. The car would be much easier to drive if the throttle had a stiffer spring and took a little more travel for the amount of throttle action.
I drove two automatic V-6s and it wasn't as noticeable, but it was definitely still there. A number of test drivers have also commented on this, often call it throttle "tip in" sensitivity.
Matt
38:09) about "Re: Sonata too fast???":
MW> Maybe, but the electronic throttle on the Sonata is WAY too sensitive MW> and the gain is too high, especially during initial travel.
When I took one for a test drive I was surprised at how it took off like a bat out of hell. So I can understand the comments about it being sensitive. However after about 15 seconds my foot adjusted and there was no problem.
Given its target demographic I think they would be well advised to make a bit of an adjustment maybe in the next model year.
Best Regards
Wayne Moses wrote:

Was this an automatic? I didn't find the automatic all that bad, but then I didn't drive one on slippery roads either. I suspect in snow it would be interesting, even with the traction control.
Matt
Gotta agree with Matt and the others: the electronic throttle is WAY too sensitive especially when the car is brand new. There is a pattern of it taking off like a rocket and lurching as the driver tries to let off on the gas. Looks real smooth.
I tried to quietly leave a subdivision one morning and practically did a burnout up the drive way. Then it did it again in front of a cop, who was not paying attention thankfully.
I have had to relearn how to deal with the gas pedal to compensate, although the car seems to have calmed down some as I have put miles on it. Maybe it's both of us getting adjusted to each other, but I still have to be careful with it. She wants to run.
The throttle also needs to be recalibrated for the shift problem between first and second gear.
First gear go go go
Shift (no engine power for FAR too long)
(dump truck runs over you while you sit there helpless)
Second gear engages.
The only solution I've found for that is to just floor the thing in first and it powers through that shift point. This is not always practical.