Sonata top speed?

Just curious what the top speed of the V-6 is.

Here in New England there are too many places for the police to hide along the highways so I've not gone past 90 mph yet.

I certainly don't see why the speedometer can read up to 160. That is sort of like Hyundai saying "we can't give you a larger penis, but this will have the same effect."

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" a écrit dans le message de news: t315h.4$672.1@trndny01...

Don't count on me for an answer! This week, I had a speeding ticket. My speed was 86 Km/H (53.4379 MpH) in a 50 Km/H zone (31.0686 MpH). Total amount of the ticket: 225,00$ + 3 demerit points.

The max speed allowed on the highway here is 100 Km/H (60 MpH) I will probably never find out the top speed of my 2006 V6 Sonata!!!

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:t315h.4$672.1@trndny01:

According to Car and Driver magazine, the top speed of the V6 Auto is 137 MPH. Although there was a story recently (in the last 6 months) of a guy in the Scottsdale, AZ area that was clocked on photo radar at 142 MPH according to the "certified" radar.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I haven't been over 100 mph....not enough road, and getty too old(smart) for that :>). Only place I can usually trounce on it is hiway entrance ramps. "I was just getting up to road speed, officer"

Reply to
Darby O'Gill

I was lucky once when I was cruising along a highway & there was scarcely any traffic I touched 109mph. I never realized it untill my wife asked me to slow down and later saw on the trip computer of a GPS unit I was using that the top speed was 109mph! I am sure I would have gotten atleast 5 to 8 points if I had been caught. The car is real smooth even at such speeds though..

Reply to
Vineeth

Sorry I forgot to mention I have a 2006 sonata V6

Reply to
Vineeth

That's impressive. Not enough places in the east to try that without risking a huge fine. The car is very comfortable in the 80-85 range though. Sadly, most of my highway life here is on cruise control at about 70.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I do that to. I like to see how far up the ramp before I'm up to 70. Coming off the ramp on the way home from work, I don't knock the cruise control off until I make the first section off the travel lane and the left curve was 40 mph in my old car is comfy at 50 in the Sonata. Overall, I'm impressed with the handling.

Some bright sunny day in the right place I'll hit 100 just to say I've done it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've had my V6 up to 100 briefly, 90s more often. It really, really likes it there but the police do not. Looking for a race track which might allow me to play a little. IIRC, the tires are rated to 130 or so.

I have heard fifth-hand reports of Sonatas "regularly hitting 160" in South Korea. Haven't been there, don't know. Planning to go next year and see for myself.

The car supposedly still holds the highest speed ever recorded for the State of Arizona, in the 140s. I can totally believe it can do 140.

Edw> Just curious what the top speed of the V-6 is.

Reply to
PMDR

I don't think it was the highest speed ever recorded in the state of Arizona, but it was reported to be in the 140's. 140 is not terribly high and there are plenty of cars that will hit that, whether stock or not.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Fe95h.2263$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

I'll admit to testing the top speed once or twice. I work early AM hours, and on the weekends there is plenty of room at 4-4:30AM to let 'er rip. I can't tell you exactly what the speedo said becasue I was watching the road intensely, but after I lifted off and took a glance I was still in the high

120's. I would suspect I made the low to mid 130's.

And before I get chastized by those that think that speed is ridiculous, I don't condone doing this, or think it is a smart thing to do. I used to race cars semi-professionally, so I have some experience at those speeds, and while I admit the Sonata is not designed to run that fast all the time, it certainly is more stable and capable than many give it credit for. And we ALL do stupid things once in a while.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:c228f$4555b5e6$452895ad$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

While I am sure it isn't the highest speed ever recorded in AZ (or anywhere for that matter) at the time I remember reading that it was the highest speeding ticket ever given for a photo radar unit.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I found the relevant articles, and I guess I remembered the speed wrong:

Eric G.

Yeah - that could make sense.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I really doubt that a stock Sonata will get to 147 unless it is clocked at the bottom of a long hill. I wouldn't trust the accuracy of a photo radar unit at speeds this high. In any event, the guy shouldn't have a driver's license.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Why? Because some liberal newspaper says he is not capable of driving that fast? I don't know that particular road, but at the time he was out there, traffic may have been non existent. If it was daylight and the road was flat and smooth, there was really very little risk for a short burst of speed. But since we don't know the exact circumstances, we can't make that decision.

Since the manufacturer states the top speed is 137, he may be able to prove the radar wrong and walk away! Honest, judge, I was doing 65.

FWIW, my personal high speed was 115 on a Philadelphia expressway, long straight road

My personal scariest time was at about 105 mph and I saw flashing lights closing in on me. Crap, I'm going to jail, I thought. I slowed to 80 and the CA Highway Patrol just whizzed right by me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I personally hold the world's speed record while eating a bagel. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Bob, as a kid I reared a guy when I dropped my double whopper and rummaged on the floor to find it. I hadn't honed my skills by then......ended up being an expensive sandwhich.

Reply to
Darby OGill

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:rTk5h.611$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

There may be more truth in that statement than you might know. The way traffic court works these days, I am sure he woyuld get screwed in any event.

My personal record (for the street) AND scariest time was back in 1986 on Rt. 80 about 20 miles east of Bloomsburg, PA in a far-from-stock 1969 Camaro that was capable of running high 9's in the 1/4 mile. I was doing an indicated 155 MPH. And I DID get stopped by a PA tropper. He was headed the opposite way on Rt. 80. I saw him turn his lights on and I coasted to a stop and waited for him to pull up behind us. He had no clue how fast I was going...just FAST. He offered us a choice (since it wasn't my car) of either having the car impounded and us put in jail overnight, or he could take the car for a drive by himself. We agreed to let him drive the car. He radioed in for his lunch break and was gone for about 1/2 hour. He returned with a big smile and let us go on our way. After we changed our underwear, we laughed about that for a week.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Wayne Moses wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@wmoses.houston.rr.com:

No arguement here, however the manufacturer claims 137 MPH, and Car and Driver had the same results. Under controlled conditions, I suspect 137 MPH to be a reliabe average.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.