Sonata top speed?

Page 1 of 3
Just curious what the top speed of the V-6 is.
Here in New England there are too many places for the police to hide along the highways so I've not gone past 90 mph yet.
I certainly don't see why the speedometer can read up to 160. That is sort of like Hyundai saying "we can't give you a larger penis, but this will have the same effect."

Don't count on me for an answer! This week, I had a speeding ticket. My speed was 86 Km/H (53.4379 MpH) in a 50 Km/H zone (31.0686 MpH). Total amount of the ticket: 225,00$ + 3 demerit points.
The max speed allowed on the highway here is 100 Km/H (60 MpH) I will probably never find out the top speed of my 2006 V6 Sonata!!!
Shaman

According to Car and Driver magazine, the top speed of the V6 Auto is 137 MPH. Although there was a story recently (in the last 6 months) of a guy in the Scottsdale, AZ area that was clocked on photo radar at 142 MPH according to the "certified" radar.
Eric

That's impressive. Not enough places in the east to try that without risking a huge fine. The car is very comfortable in the 80-85 range though. Sadly, most of my highway life here is on cruise control at about 70.
wrote in message

I'll admit to testing the top speed once or twice. I work early AM hours, and on the weekends there is plenty of room at 4-4:30AM to let 'er rip. I can't tell you exactly what the speedo said becasue I was watching the road intensely, but after I lifted off and took a glance I was still in the high 120's. I would suspect I made the low to mid 130's.
And before I get chastized by those that think that speed is ridiculous, I don't condone doing this, or think it is a smart thing to do. I used to race cars semi-professionally, so I have some experience at those speeds, and while I admit the Sonata is not designed to run that fast all the time, it certainly is more stable and capable than many give it credit for. And we ALL do stupid things once in a while.
Eric
I found the relevant articles, and I guess I remembered the speed wrong:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?styf898
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/11/1162.asp
Eric G. wrote:

I really doubt that a stock Sonata will get to 147 unless it is clocked at the bottom of a long hill. I wouldn't trust the accuracy of a photo radar unit at speeds this high. In any event, the guy shouldn't have a driver's license.
Matt

Why? Because some liberal newspaper says he is not capable of driving that fast? I don't know that particular road, but at the time he was out there, traffic may have been non existent. If it was daylight and the road was flat and smooth, there was really very little risk for a short burst of speed. But since we don't know the exact circumstances, we can't make that decision.
Since the manufacturer states the top speed is 137, he may be able to prove the radar wrong and walk away! Honest, judge, I was doing 65.
FWIW, my personal high speed was 115 on a Philadelphia expressway, long straight road
My personal scariest time was at about 105 mph and I saw flashing lights closing in on me. Crap, I'm going to jail, I thought. I slowed to 80 and the CA Highway Patrol just whizzed right by me.

There may be more truth in that statement than you might know. The way traffic court works these days, I am sure he woyuld get screwed in any event.

My personal record (for the street) AND scariest time was back in 1986 on Rt. 80 about 20 miles east of Bloomsburg, PA in a far-from-stock 1969 Camaro that was capable of running high 9's in the 1/4 mile. I was doing an indicated 155 MPH. And I DID get stopped by a PA tropper. He was headed the opposite way on Rt. 80. I saw him turn his lights on and I coasted to a stop and waited for him to pull up behind us. He had no clue how fast I was going...just FAST. He offered us a choice (since it wasn't my car) of either having the car impounded and us put in jail overnight, or he could take the car for a drive by himself. We agreed to let him drive the car. He radioed in for his lunch break and was gone for about 1/2 hour. He returned with a big smile and let us go on our way. After we changed our underwear, we laughed about that for a week.
Eric

No arguement here, however the manufacturer claims 137 MPH, and Car and Driver had the same results. Under controlled conditions, I suspect 137 MPH to be a reliabe average.
Eric
Not s Sonata top speed but high speed on the Elantra. Earlier I posted a report on my '05 Elantra after one year of owner ship. This is an excerpt from that post regarding the Elantra speed
"On the high speed section I drove the first 100 miles at 70 MPH and for the next 300 miles I never went less than 90 MPH and at times over 115 MPH. After the first 100 miles a guy with a ton of antenna and all kinds of stuff on his dash board blew past me. I hooked up with him for the next 300 miles I would let him get about a quarter mile or more in front of me. The only time I slowed down was for traffic. At times cars got between him and I and I would have to go like a bat out of hell to catch him. That's when I was going over 115+ MPH. I finally had to stop for gas as the fuel warning light was on. The car rode rock solid, no float, no lift, no sway. The car rode smooth. Surprisingly the tach never went to high. I don't remember what the tach numbers were but I remember being surprised at how relatively low they were for that high of a speed."
I was in Arkansas heading north out of Little Rock. I don't know how much faster I could have gone, but there was more speed available. The 115 mph was not just a short blast for a couple of seconds. I averaged 102 mph over the last 300 miles.

Impressive!
I don't see that happening here in California with our flat desert of miles upon miles. It could happen for awhile but not for 3 hours. The CHips are always around. Arkansas Patrol must have been on a coffee break!
Robert wrote:

Does publicly admitting that you are an idiot make you feel better?
Matt

So tell me Matt, why is it that you feel compeled to insult people. Do my comments bother you? Since when did you become the moral and legal guide of this board. People exceeded the speed limit. Thats a fact. Was it wrong of me to go so fast? Of course it was. But then agin that is of no concern of yours. The answer to your question of "does it make me feel better?" is that I was comenting on the speed of the car. Does it make you feel better to insult me by calling me names?

I think it makes him feel superior. But honestly, driving at an average of 102 MPH for that long does seem a bit excessive to me too. I'm certainly not a saint, as I've already posted, but I would not push the limits of the car that far for that long. Your car, your choice.
Eric
Robert wrote:

I believe in calling a spade a spade. I've also known too many people killed or maimed by people driving like you described or driving drunk. I have no tolerance for that and if you post such stupid stuff here, I'll respond by calling it what it is.
How good would you feel if that speed had caused you to blow a tire and spin out killing a mother and two kids? People like you think the world revolves around them and have no regard for anyone else. Sorry, but that is stupid and I'll forever call it stupid.
Matt

We all know that if his tire blew at 70 and he hit a woman and her two kids than they would have all lived. Quit with the "I'm better than you" attitude, you have broken the speed limit before and have no right to judge. I suspect you have driven over 100mph sometime during your life, maybe the o/p is in the same time of his life that you were in when you were doing "stupid" things.Go back to complaining about your Sonata, your good at it.
Rob
Rob wrote:

That would be you're, not your. :-)
I've never done anything nearly as stupid as what he described. If you don't like what I post, you are welcome to ignore it.
Matt

Im shore their is allot more spelling and gramathical missteaks then just "your". Learn better english.

Very good Rob. This thread is very clever. You cracked me up with this one. The last one was good too. Regards, Robert