Sonata transmission service

What type of service is needed for the transmission on this vehicle?
My local Hyundai dealer does a "transmission flush" for $159.
When I checked Alldata, it mentions disconnecting the cooler line, running it
for one minute, and then opening the drain plug to drain the remaining fluid.
Isn't there a filter inside that should be replaced?
The transmission service, whatever it involves, is recommended at 30,000 miles for "severe" duty.
Thanks,
KM
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:00:33 -0800 (PST), Kirk Matheson

What year Sonata?
I don't have the manual in front of me to check, but is that the recommendation of Hyundai or the dealer? Some dealers and oil change shops sell services that are not needed so be sure to follow the book and not a service writer that gets a commission on what he sells.
Many new transmissions are seal and require little or no service.
On Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:56:34 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's a 2008. The owner's manual only specifies replacing the fluid at 105,000 miles for "normal" service, or 30,000 miles for "severe" service.
It doesn't specify the procedure for replacing the fluid. The procedure on alldata's website doesn't mention anything about changing a filter.
KM
Check the specific criteria for "severe" as relates to transmission service in your owner's manual. I'm guessing you don't meet them.
In any event, the service in the manual is just a drain and refill -- remove the 24mm plug, install a new sealing washer, reinstall after draining, and add new fluid (about 5 quarts). You can do a flush that will replace more fluid if desired, but that's not required.
On Friday, January 25, 2013 11:15:19 AM UTC-7, hyundaitech wrote:

Thanks. That is the answer that I was looking for. It is consistent with the procedure from alldata.
No filter to replace inside?
KM
On Friday, January 25, 2013 4:11:53 PM UTC-5, Kirk Matheson wrote:

There's a filter inside, but you'd need to remove the transmission and disassemble it to get the filter out. It's more like a screen and isn't intended to be replaced.
On Monday, January 28, 2013 10:44:50 AM UTC-7, hyundaitech wrote:

Very good. All my questions have been answered. Now I understand why the dealer just does a flush/drain. There is no filter to change.
Quite a change from what I am used to. Looks like they have tried to keep things simple.
Thanks for all the responses.
KM
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:02:02 -0800 (PST), Kirk Matheson

I don't think they have filters like years ago. Used to be you dropped a pan to get to it. Times have changed.