Sonata Trip Computer

Has anyone figured out the logic of the Range (miles to empty) of the trip computer? I'm sure it uses the average MPG that its computed in the calculation, but how is the MPG calculated? If I reset the MPG while doing
50, it will give me a high MPG figure, but it doesn't immediately use that in the Range calculation. It must be keeping its own running average MPG. If someone that normally only drives his car around town decides to take a long trip on the highway, how long does it take for the computer to figure out that the range of that tank of gas is going to last a lot longer?