speaking of high mpg autos....

Does anyone remember the Chevy Sprint? It was a 1 litre three cylinder car made by Suzuki. I bought one new in 1987 and drove it for 150,000 miles
before I sold it to a buddy. EPA rated @ 50 mpg. ......and it got every bit of that. Made a co-workers Justy seem like a RoadMaster. Smooth shifting and nimble, it was fun to own and drive, and felt more spirited than it probably was. As a three door hatchback with a robust roof rack it could haul almost anything ( I bet mine looked like a thirdworld railroad car much of the time).......it sacrificed a lot for efficiency, but really, we expect so mamy features today from our cars that add comfort, safety.....and weight. If I recall it weighed in at 1600 lbs and had 54 HP.....bring it back (with airbags) !
My bro' had a diesel rabbit that was quite miserly as well...can you say slow though.... made his old suburu (D10?) seem fast..
hi mpg is not new !
Amen on old cars that got good mileage. I subscribe to the Smart Car newsgroup and was in line for one until I was shocked to find out that the 1700 pound car with a 1 liter engine was only giving people 34-38 mpg on the highway! Some are only getting 26 mpg! Since they were previously driving OPEC pickups and SUV's, many are content with that mileage, but many are up in arms. Also, the wait is now up to 18 to 24 months for a car. Who knows what it will even be in 2 years? I tell them that my 2002 Civic got 42 mpg and they think I'm a nutcase.... Weeeeelllll.

When we went to Ireland five years ago and rented a car, it was a Citroen C-3, a tiny (on the outside) little four door which seemed very commodious inside, and got consistently over 40 mpg.... And it flew down the main highways with the best of 'em. My wife fell in love with it and was halfway serious about trying to import one ....to California! I had to give her the same advice that Click and Clack give their listeners..."You should never own a French car, unless you live in France."

631grant wrote:

The Smart Car seems pretty dumb, actually. You can get the same mileage in an Accent, Elantra or any number of other cars that are much more practical for the average person/family who needs to carry more than just themselves. Add to that the fact that it's hideously overpriced and about the only reasons to buy one are easier parking and the novelty value.

Don't discount the importance of the parking factor in Europe. In Italy this fall we saw plenty of Smart Cars parked in spots that were much to small for any other cars on the road. A popular way to park was to back the Smart Car into a small space sideways, with the rear bumper facing the curb. I think it's size is one of it's biggest selling points.
Jon
Yea, Zeppo, we saw the same thing in France and England. Just back two of them into one parking place. The other comment about overpriced was probably based on the ones that were being imported and converted to US standards by a company called Zap (I think). They are still selling these up in the Northwest for $25,000 when you can order a new one for about $13,000. I said ordered because you won't see it for 2 years..................

631grant wrote:

I don't doubt that at all and it makes sense over there. I'm not sure it makes as much sense here.

That was the first thing I saw a year or so ago, which is a bad joke. The only Smarts I've seen around here (NH) have had Canadian plates on them.

Really, what's the point? By the time you get one, there will probably be something better available from a more mainstream company with a better dealer network.

They have a dealership near me and they are pretty cute but for what they are asking and the terrible crash test results, forget it. It might as well be a cardboard box with wheels.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
I just went to safecar.gov and they have not tested the 2008 Smart Car yet.................... I read that it is expected to get a 4 star rating which is darn good considering its size. That's as good as a Chevy Colorado pickup, for one.
I hope you are not basing your comment on that old youtube video.

No there was a page my coworker sent to me but I didn't bookmark it. It wasn't based on the multitude of YouTube videos.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

Not as dumb as you think. I drove a Smart ForFour in Italy for about 1200 miles and it was a nifty, well equipped car. I averaged 42 mpg for the trip, both city and highway driving. No, it is not what I want for my every day highway driver, but if I lived in New York or Boston or the like, I'd certainly consider one just for the ability to find parking.

How about one of these 50mpg beauties?
http://hyundaii10.co.in /
Oh wait, 'mericans don't drive silly ass little cars :-)
L.
Leonardo wrote:

I'm not planning to move to India anytime soon.

Even if you did I doubt you would manage to drive there... It takes more than skill :)

How about one of these 50mpg beauties?
http://hyundaii10.co.in /
Oh wait, 'mericans don't drive silly ass little cars :-)
L.
This 'merican would drive one! I commute 150 miles each day in an '02 accent with 172K on the clock. It's all about MPG's for me! Mike
Honda CRX 1300cc 63 MPG 1989 I think or 87