Speed-sensitive variable intermittent wipers

Hello All

I noticed this 'feature' on my 2005 Tiburon before and made a posting here, to which there was not much response. I had asked whether others had experienced that with their cars. Then the feature seemed to 'go away'.

Since this is not a feature in any brochure I have seen for this car, I can only assume that it is something they decided to throw in.

Well it did not go away - it is just that I was using the slower intermittent speeds where it does not work.

Next rainfall, set the intermittent speed to fastest then see if, when you slow down to below about 20-25 mph or stop, the speed is intermittent otherwise it is constant at the lower speed.

I guess they figure that at the slower speeds the rain is not falling hard enough to go to constant speed.

Let us know if your Hyundai has this feature.

Best Regards, Wayne Moses Wed, 04 Apr 2007 18:13:53 -0500

Wayne Moses

IIRC the speed sensitive wipers are not really set to speed but rather what gear the transmission is in. It gives the same sense I suppose but is probably easier to program. This was the case in my 03 Santa Fe & 05 Elantra. ( I read this a long time ago and can't recall where)

Reply to
art.obrien

Hello snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com,

So this is a feature then ...

If it is dependent on the gear the car is in, then it reverts to intermittent when I am in neutral, or 1st or 2nd because I could be coming to a stop or pulling off or at a stop when it is intermittent. The minute I exceed about

20 - 25 mph (regardless or gear, it seems) the wipers go continuous.

Regards, Wayne Moses

Reply to
Wayne Moses

It's definitely speed sensitive. If I recall correctly, the two settings with the least delay have the potential to become low speed constant operation. Once you cross a predetermined speed threshhold, it should switch over.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" scribbled:

Plus there seems to be a rather large hysteresis.

(Going from memory here--) In my Sonata on the second-shortest delay setting, it doesn't go into continuous mode until right around 50MPH, but slowing down, doesn't "switch back" to delay until down to about 30 or so.

Reply to
Don P.

Our '05 Tucson and '06 Sonata both have the speed sensitive wipers....Wayne is correct, I also did not see anything in the vehicle brochures about the feature. For both our cars I think the speed is around 40.

Reply to
mbleisch

That sounds about right.

And thanks for using the word hysteresis. It's been so long since I've heard it (about 16 years), I'd forgotten what it meant.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hello hyundaitech,

h> It's definitely speed sensitive. If I recall correctly, the two h> settings with the least delay have the potential to become low speed h> constant operation. Once you cross a predetermined speed threshhold, h> it should switch over.

Thanks for confirming that. I can attest to the intermittent with the least delay, but will also try the next longer delay to see if that also works.

I think that it is great that we get a feature that was not even mentioned. Definitely better than the other way around!

Regards, Wayne Moses Houston, Texas

Reply to
Wayne Moses

Hello Don P.,

D> Plus there seems to be a rather large hysteresis. D> D> (Going from memory here--) In my Sonata on the second-shortest delay D> setting, it doesn't go into continuous mode until right around 50MPH, D> but slowing down, doesn't "switch back" to delay until down to about D> 30 or so.

Hmmmm .... the plot thickens. Thanks for that tidbit. I will look for similar performance when I try this out next time. Definitely a nice feature. Makes sense also that one has to be going faster for the feature to switch over to continuous, as the assumption is that the longer the delay, the less rain is falling and hence the faster you must be travelling to accumulate enough rain for the constant wipe.

Regards, Wayne Moses Houston, Texas

Reply to
Wayne Moses

Wayne Moses scribbled:

That, plus the vehicle in front of you is spraying more water at the higher speeds, too. Unless you follow at about 35 car lengths.

Reply to
Don P.