STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST IN NEW HYUNDAIS?

Do the new Hyundai vehicles come with SS exhaust systems? I have been looking at the Sonata and the Window Sticker and Sales Brochure make no mention of it.
TIA,
Larry

As far as I can tell, yes. Hyundai's exhaust system lifespan increased greatly in the late nineties. I'm presuming this corresponds to a switch to stainless.
As long as you are talking about exhaust, Mr. HT, two questions for you: +What was the deal with the Elantras from early this decade, seemingly EVERY ONE of which were going to have to have their mega-expensive "flex-pipes" replaced? (especially when no other part of the exhaust seemed even close to ever going bad) +Have they re-designed those, or is my son's '08 eventually going to have to have that replaced also, like his '02 did?
Thanx in advance.
wrote:

As far as I can tell, yes. Hyundai's exhaust system lifespan increased greatly in the late nineties. I'm presuming this corresponds to a switch to stainless.

Flexpipe leakage is now the single most common failure on Hyundai exhaust. This is not exclusive to Elantra. I've seen it on Accent and Tiburon as well.
The reason it's so epensive on the Elantra (or Tiburon) is that, for whatever reason, the Hyundai engineers thought it would be a good idea to integrate the catalytic converter with the front pipe assembly on that vehicle.
I don't recall whether the converter is standalone or connected to the flexpipe on the 2007 and newer Elantras. I'll try to remember to check and report back.
Wow, I've read so many different problems on here with Hyundai's and the EXACT same thing has happened to my Chevy Colorado!! I wonder if that thing was made in Korea!!!! Or they recruited Korean engineers. Now the flex pipe with the cat converter. Same thing happened again!
wrote:

Flexpipe leakage is now the single most common failure on Hyundai exhaust. This is not exclusive to Elantra. I've seen it on Accent and Tiburon as well.
The reason it's so epensive on the Elantra (or Tiburon) is that, for whatever reason, the Hyundai engineers thought it would be a good idea to integrate the catalytic converter with the front pipe assembly on that vehicle.
I don't recall whether the converter is standalone or connected to the flexpipe on the 2007 and newer Elantras. I'll try to remember to check and report back.
got a 99 with the original exhaust on it. and a 03 and 07.