Starter problem 2006 Elantra ???

Yesterday my wife went to start her car and CLICK , nothing..CLICK , nothing..panicked for a bit...Tried a few more times still the same...Turned the lights on and it started...Started right up the next few times...New
battery..No unusual grinding or noise from the starter....Starter going is my guess ?? What do you think it is?? 83,000 miles...Thanks for any help...
benick wrote:

Dirty battery cables.
Or loose terminals?

On 6/3/2012 3:30 AM, John wrote:

Possible, but there are many other reasons. Dirty battery connection, dirty or corroded end on the cable, dirty connection at the solenoid. I've seen new batteries installed where the installer cleaned the post and cable end, but did not see where the end of the wire was breaking.

will check connections...thanks...

Well connections were fine...Still the occasional no start big CLICK from the starter problem...So after viewing a Youtube video on changing the starter I launched into it...What a PITA....You have to remove the aircleaner assembly to get to the bolts from the top after removing the wires from the bottom..Hardly any room at all and you need 2 extensions for the top bolt and one for the bottom bolt that you can't see and you need a helper to hold the socket on the bolt for you laying under the car....The starter has to be removed and replaced from the bottom as well..Took the starter to Autozone and had it tested and of course it tested good as it only occasionally doesn't start..Decided to replace it anyway considering the car has 83,000 on it and ordered one..Got it the next day...148.00 bucks for a rebuilt one...Autozone was cheapest....You need a helper to hold it while putting bolts back on during re-assembly.About an hour to remove and another hour to replace....But got it done and all is good..Been a week and it starts like a charm...Thanks for the advice...

Thanks for the update, I hope it is the cure.

It's good to hear that it all worked out. I agree that cars seem to be harder and harder to work on -- even the straight up mechanical repairs that don't involve computer technology. Ordinarily, it would seem that changing a starter motor wouldn't be too difficult to do, but yours seems to be one of the ones that are difficult to access. Thanks for the follow-up.

Has been a few weeks now and all is good so I'm now positive it was the starter...Thanks...
On Saturday, 2 June 2012 21:33:37 UTC-7, benick wrote:

ned

..
I had exactly the same issue with my Elantra 2006. One thing apparently wor king for me till now is to not using remote alarm at all. When I am using j ust the key to lock and unlock the doors, this problem won't appear. When I used remote keyless, sometimes this issue arises sometimes not, when I'm locking my car using keyless, but unlocking the car with my key, this probl em always appreas.
On Sunday, June 3, 2012 at 12:33:37 AM UTC-4, benick wrote:

One way to test the starter on an automatic is to (vehicle off) put it in park and push it a couple feet backwards, then shift it to drive and push it a couple feet forwards. If the car turns over then you may need a new starter.

Four year later we have an answer!
What happens by pushing the car backwards while in Park? Would there not be potential damage to the parking pawl or whatever is holding? Is this applicable to any car?
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:16:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you for replying. I hope the OP wasn't waiting 4 years for their answer...

On Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 9:33:37 PM UTC-7, benick wrote:

hey i know this was 4 years ago but i have the exact same car doing the same thing, did replacing the starter fix the problem permanently?
On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 10:14:05 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

urned

is

p...

ame thing, did replacing the starter fix the problem permanently?
Back in the 1990's Chrysler starters had a problem where the solenoid conta cts would get worn, and no longer have a good connection. This would cause intermittent solenoid engagement. The contacts or starter had to be replace d to correct this. Not sure if Hyundai starters have the same issue.
On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 12:55:39 PM UTC-10, Kirk Matheson wrote :
m wrote:

.Turned

New

ng is

elp...

same thing, did replacing the starter fix the problem permanently?

tacts would get worn, and no longer have a good connection. This would caus e intermittent solenoid engagement. The contacts or starter had to be repla ced to correct this. Not sure if Hyundai starters have the same issue.
My guess is that Hyundai starters have the same issue because all cars have this problem - unless Hyundai makes their starters without a starter solen oid.