Steering rumbling

Hello!

I have not driven my Sonata 2000 V6 for a while until today and was unpleasantly surprised to hear some rumbling coming from the front. I noticed that when the steering wheel is straight or to the left the rumbling persists, if the wheel is to the right it diminishes or even completely disappears at some angle. It is also proportional to the car's speed.

Any ideas what might the problem be.

Your response is greatly appreciated

Reply to
vrokhlenko

Sounds like a front hub bearing.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks!

Any idea how to verify that for sure?

Reply to
vrokhlenko

Jack up the front end and grab the wheel at the top and bottom and try to rock it toward and away from you. If there's any play in the bearing, you'll feel it. Sometimes if you spin a wheel with a bad bearing, you can hear a gritty sound.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

If you have a safe place and setup, you could jack the front wheels off the ground and operate the car in gear and listen for a humming noise from one of the wheels.

Reply to
hyundaitech

That will probably detect a problem sooner than the "shake test", since a bad bearing will make noise before it develops appreciable play. Do this only with jack stands - NOT a jack. Apply the emergency brake, chock the rear wheels and DO NOT rev the engine. Just start the car, put it in gear and let the wheels spin.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Thanks, guys!

My rear right wheel hub had to be replaced recently so I just got two front wheel bearings along with the brake discs and pads to get my car back in shape.It will be cheaper to do it all in once.

Thanks again

Reply to
vrokhlenko

Beware! You'll need a press to remove and install the front bearing from the knuckle. If you don't have one available, be prepared to take the knuckle to a machine shop. You may also want to get the retaining snap rings for the front hub bearings.

Reply to
hyundaitech