steering wheel problem?

a friend has an '05 Sonata, and has noticed some deterioration of the steering wheel rim. I haven't seen it yet, apparently a new finding.
No known damage, no dogs chewing on it, no history of chemical exposure...
wondering if it's a common problem?

What do you mean by "deterioration"? Split? Cracked? pieces falling away? discolored? bent? misaligned? stained? none of the above? all of the above? One man's deteriorations is another man's patina.
from his description over the phone this morning, I'm guessing that it's beginning to break down, maybe some small pieces falling off... My guess is it's from sunlight, although that seems a little soon for a relatively new car. Also, it spends most of it's time parked in a shady driveway, rather than out in an open parking lot all day.
didn't sound bad yet, but just thought I'd ask if it's a known problem area with hyundai...

I've seen this on several Elantras, but not on Sonata.
I have this problem on my 01 Elantra , it like the steering wheel is actually wearing away rapidly . I just went to a local junkyard and replaced it myself . I think it may be related to me having some chemical on my hands sometime in the past and not cleaning the steeering wheel afterwards .
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:41:44 -0700 (PDT), hyundaitech

Mine did it quicker but I drive all day. I think it's the covering - molded skin over foam. Once the skin wears away the foam goes fast. I put on a cover when I noticed it starting to spot.
On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:33:58 -0700, Mad E Moe