Stereo/CD Unit

    I'm stuck. After attempting to research it for a couple months, I'm unable to determine what I should do. I love the sound
in my 2005 Sonata, but want support for MP3 cds. The sound is great with the stock unit, but I want to replace it...
My problem comes from people saying the lower-end units won't sound as good. The ones around $150US or so. But, I was riding with a coworker who has a $400 Pioneer deck and his sound wasn't very good at all. I'm assuming it was the speakers, but it sounded like it had no Highs or Lows at all.
Does anyone here have experience with replacing the head unit with another one.. around the $150 range? I don't need fancy features or anything... I just want to keep my SAME sound but be able to use Mp3 cds.
Thank you

I just had a Pioneer P3700MP CD/Radio installed in my Elantra and I think it sounds great. The unit cost only $115. I also had XM Satellite radio hardware installed (the Pioneer deck supports MP3 and WMA playback and is also "XM Ready" which means you can control the XM tuner through the deck's control panel) and it also sounds great. Bass and Treble are highly adjustable via the EQ and Loudness Options. As you say, maybe your friend has poor speakers, or doesn't have the EQ properly adjusted on his deck?

Elantra and could not be happier. The head unit plays mp3's as well as the 12 disc changer, so I can load up to 13 disc's full of mp3's and just go. The total cost of the hardware was $267 at Buy.com and another $175 to have everything installed.

the stereo to be one of the weak points of the vehicle.....very mediocre sound quality (my previous vehicle was a '94 Ford Explorer LTD with the factory stereo and it had a small sub)....too bad the Santa Fe didn't include a sub too! Len