Strange "problem" 2008 Elantra

I drive with a very "light foot" in order to get the best gas mileage (34 MPG). When I am slowly getting up to speed on a slight upgrade -
when I get near 40 MPH, the car shifts into drive and it feels like the engine is "lugging" before it shifts back down. It's like the transmission is locked. If I give it a little more gas, it shifts down and the "lugging" stops. Is this normal operation?
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Yup, its called torque converter lockup. Its how you get such good gas mileage.
I drive with a very "light foot" in order to get the best gas mileage (34 MPG). When I am slowly getting up to speed on a slight upgrade - when I get near 40 MPH, the car shifts into drive and it feels like the engine is "lugging" before it shifts back down. It's like the transmission is locked. If I give it a little more gas, it shifts down and the "lugging" stops. Is this normal operation?
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
I drive with a very "light foot" in order to get the best gas mileage (34 MPG). When I am slowly getting up to speed on a slight upgrade - when I get near 40 MPH, the car shifts into drive and it feels like the engine is "lugging" before it shifts back down. It's like the transmission is locked. If I give it a little more gas, it shifts down and the "lugging" stops. Is this normal operation?
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
What do you mean "shifts into drive?" Are you in reverse or low when you hit the hill? Or do you mean top gear? Your light foot is causing the engine to lug for a short time. It is probably right on the edge of shifting and torque coverter lockup. Hit the hill at a slightly higher speed and it may be smoother.