Switching between synthetic and regular oil

Page 1 of 2
I've been using Castrol synthetic oil in my Elantra. When I went for an oil change recently and asked for regular oil I was told that since they had
been putting synthetic in my car they would not switch back to regular oil. Would it in fact put the engine at risk to use regular oil?

No, but I'm curious why you would want to switch back after having used synthetic.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Only because cash is a little tight at the moment and I wanted to save twenty dollars. I prefer the synthetic and I will probably keep using it since the Wal-mart lube & oil package is still the best bang for the buck in my area. I don't like being fed misinformation though.

And you are - being fed misinformation. I've never paid for an oil change so I don't know the difference in price between a synthetic change and a dino change. I understand cash being tight and if it is then at least walk away with the confidence that you're really not hurting your motor in any way by switching between the two.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

You mean there are places that will actually change your oil for you? :-)
Matt

Last oil change I did myself was in 1991 when I bought a new Regal. It was a real PITA getting to the filter. I find it much easier to reach into my pocket for $25 than crawl under the car, especially in cold weather. I usually go during the work day when a local shop is not busy so even time and convenience is not a factor for me.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

No doubt it is easier. I just like to get out and do something different after sitting at a computer all day. Also, it is a good time to inspect under the car and look at the oil for signs of serious engine distress. I also still split all of my own firewood by hand (8-10 face cords a year). It would be easier to buy it, but I enjoy getting out and doing things like that.
Matt
Hello VicTek,

V> save twenty dollars. I prefer the synthetic and I will probably keep V> using it since the Wal-mart lube & oil package is still the best bang V> for the buck in my area. I don't like being fed misinformation V> though. Vic,
Here is a suggestion. Save twenty dollars *and* use synthetic oil at the same time.
How? Change the oil yourself, and use Walmart 5W-30 Super Tech Synthetic Oil. I have been using it for over a year in my Tiburon and it is perfectly fine. It typically costs 1/2 as much as Mobil 1 which I used before (never used Castrol Synthetic) and for the driving I do and the conditions here, the Walmart product would be just fine. The important thing to remember is the API rating and the weight of the oil for the environmental conditions. Besides that, use good quality oil and change it often.
Hyundai recommends every 7500 miles for my car under the "normal" schedule, but I change it every 5000 miles.
Doing it yourself using this synthetic means you can get the oil change done for under $20.
Regards, Wayne Moses

I may do just that Wayne. I just need to take some time to find the oil filter and see how much of a pain it will be to R&R, see if I can get at the oil pan drain plug or if I'm going to need a couple of front wheel ramps, find out where I can take the old oil for safe disposal/recycling...
On second thought it's starting to sound like real work <g>.

Here in CT, any place that sells oil must also take back an equivalent amount for recycling to what you bought . We can also have it picked up at the curb on trash day, but the idiots that wrote the regulation made a limit of two quarts per week.
Hello VicTek,
V> I may do just that Wayne. I just need to take some time to find the V> oil filter Right front of engine.
V> and see how much of a pain it will be to R&R, see if I can V> get at the oil pan drain plug or if I'm going to need a couple of V> front wheel ramps, Ramps are no good whatsoever, since the car has to be level. You can jack up the RF wheel, and put a jack stand underneath for safety, enough to get at the oil drain plug (or valve -- see below in this message). then when that is off and the oil is draining, it should be lowered back to level.
V> find out where I can take the old oil for safe V> disposal/recycling... My local AutoZone is pleased to take the waste oil, even when I bring several oil changes worth (which I let accumulate in the drain pan / container I have).
V> On second thought it's starting to sound like real work <g>. Not too bad though. I have a Fumoto valve installed on my car so there is no fiddling with the oil pan plug. See this page for more -- http://egt.gwebworks.com/garage.shtml
Regards, Wayne Moses

This is all helpful, especially the info about the fumoto valve - thanks!
VicTek wrote:

Wheel ramps are nearly essential for most cars. I can change my 4x4 on the ground, but my Sonata and minivan need ramps. I'd have to weigh less than 130 lbs to even thing of getting under either of my cars with them on the ground! :-)
Matt

A long time ago, I used to be bale to get enough clearance to work by driving up on 4" concrete blocks. Doubt I could today. Ramps is what I used.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Unfortunately, at 225 lbs, I pretty much need the ramps! :-)
Matt
Hello Matt,
MW> Wheel ramps are nearly essential for most cars. I can change my 4x4 MW> on the ground, but my Sonata and minivan need ramps. I'd have to MW> weigh less than 130 lbs to even thing of getting under either of my MW> cars with them on the ground! :-) I am 5"-8", 190 lbs and could change my Elantra GT and Tiburon GT without ramps.
I even changed the oil on the EGT without raising it at all, thanks to the Fumoto valve -- no messing with the oil pan plug and wrenches.
With the Tib, I need to raise the RF a bit to get the plastic trim piece under the filter off (I guess I could leave it off and eliminate this step) and to reach far enough back to get at the valve. The Tib is pretty low in front.
Regards, Wayne Moses
Wayne Moses wrote:

I'm a little bigger than you, 6' and 225 and 5 years of work as a logger gave me big enough shoulders that I just can't maneuver with less than about 18" of space. My truck just barely has enough room given the plow frame, but my minivan and Sonata aren't even close. Yes, having the quick drain would help a lot, but I can't get to my oil filters without raising the vehicle. The minivan is easy to see, but you have to get behind the plastic air dam. The Sonata is up inside of a hole in the plastic air deflector, and no way to get up in there with the car on the ground.
Matt
VicTek wrote:

No, no risk at all. Even though I don't do it, you can even mix regular and synthetic together and put it in your engine. Most oil companies now sell blends and mixing two quarts of each is just making a blend. Who told you they wouldn't put in conventional oil?
Matt

Wal-Mart - the employee said something along the lines of "if we switch the oil and you have engine problems Wal-Mart would be responsible".
VicTek wrote:

Wal-Mart, that explains it.
Matt