synthetic oil for 06 Sonata V-6

saw somewhere in one of these posts that someone is using Wal-Mart super-tech synthetic motor oil in his Hyundai. Any idea of who makes the Wally_world oil and if it is legal for warranty!!??

Reply to
Deck

My 2005 Hyundai Accent requires oil that meets ILSAC GF-3 or API SJ, SL or higher. The Wal-Mart Super-tech full synthetic jug indicates it meets ILSAC GF-4 and GF-3, and also SM/CF, SL, SJ, and SH. In other words, it exceeds the requirements set by Hyundai. I don't know who makes it; I've heard it was made by Quaker State/Pennzoil, but can't confirm that.

John

Reply to
JPH

i use it, and it meets all requirments for warranty etc.

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Jody

I've used it in my Elantra. It's good oil and of course, like any API certified oil, it meets or exceeds the warranty requirements. It's produced my Warren Oil, a large blending/bottling house that produces oils for major brand names. Oil analysis shows that it's comparable to brand name synthetics.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Wal-Mart Supertech oil filters are junk, see below and other places:

Maybe the Supertech oil is good, maybe it isn't. Most things at Wal-Mart are less expensive for a reason, and that reason is that most of their stuff is junk. Look at tools or most anything else and compare it to real quality tools, etc. Brand name products should be the same whether bought at Wally World or elsewhere, but buying generic store brand stuff is a crap shoot in my opinion. However, it is your car, Deck, so do what you wish.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

you trying to tell me that, after I spend over 20,000 for an automobile, I shouldn't skimp on oil? What a concept !:)

Reply to
Deck

Reply to
Jody

Matt, changing the label on a tool or bottle of oil does not magically change their properties. Wal-Mart can sell brand name products cheaper because they have mega-buying power, not because their label somehow degrades the quality. Mobil1 from Wal-Mart is the same quality as Mobil1 from Pep Boys.

The only legitimate question is, what's in the SuperTech bottle? The MSDS sheet says Pennzoil/Quaker state. Not exactly chopped liver.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Just bought oil at Peb Boys...penzoil platinum. $3.50 cheaper at wallyworld for 5 qts!

Reply to
Deck

Of course they do, just like Chocolate milk comes from brown cows !!! Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

Did I say that? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Well, now that you mention it, the quality of crude oil does vary rather dramatically depending on where it comes from. However, the real issue is the additive packages, how well the oil is filtered before packaging, how clean the oil handling equipment is, how well the QA tests are done to ensure that every batch is up to snuff, etc. Low cost producers of many products generally have skimped somewhere along the line. This may never cause a problem, then again it may.

Personally, I think that there are a few areas with respect to car maintenance and repair that shouldn't be skimped on. Tires, oil, oil filters, and brakes for example.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I never claimed it did and specifically said above that brand name (and labeled) products should be the same everywhere. If you really believe that store brand products are exactly the same as brand name products other than the label, then that is your prerogative. I know for a fact that many industries sort products by specifications and "bin" them for sale. The high quality products get sold under a brand name and the lower quality get sold to folks that rebrand them. This is very common in the electronics industry for example.

That is the only legitimate question, I agree. However, the MSDS doesn't tell you what is in the bottle, it tells you what is supposed to be in the bottle. Poor QA may well mean that what is in the bottle isn't exactly what is supposed to be in the bottle. And, yes, I actually do consider Pennzoil and Quaker State to be the chopped liver of oil brands. Quaker State is one of the few oil producers that destroyed a bunch of engines due to poor QA that let bad oil get out of their factory.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I don't think Pennzoil/QS or Shell or any other supplier would create a blend just for Wal-Mart. That wouldn't make economic sense at all when there are already excellent blends to choose from. SuperTech oil is simply re-labeled oil that is identical to some other oil. The question is, which one? Hint: It's a premium oil that meets all the latest API, SAE, ASTM Etc. specs.

So, you believe every oil maker except for Pennzoil/QS is immune to QA problems? Well I've got news for ya! :)

It comes down to trusting a label. I think Wal-Mart has just as much integrity as the next re-seller of bulk-blended oil. In fact, Wal-Mart's QA program probably strikes more fear into the oil companies than any other outlet. After all, Wal-Mart is probably their most important customer.

Matt, we've got to be careful today. A person can praise one brand very highly and smear another viciously and be embarrassed to find they are different in name only.

We have huge oil bottlers that specialize in economically bottling oil for many customers. In order to reduce overhead, I'm sure their inventory consists of dozens fewer actual formulations than there are brands. And it's subject to change from time to time.

That brings to mind a neighbor that used to tell me my riding mower was junk, and his brand was the highest of quality. One day I took a close look at his mower, and the only difference in the 2 were the paint job. I really had some fun with that one!

Moral: Research thoroughly (not just old information) before saying one oil is inferior to another.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

"Wal-Mart Supertech oil filters are junk, see below and other places:

" Matt,

I've been using the super tech filters for years without a single problem. They are made by STP. If you open up the box on a bosch, STP and a super tech filter you will see that the canister is identical down to the letter stampings, save for the label on the outside. In this respect I agree with Mr. Bartsch.

I would question the integrity of information on a website that only lists one type of filter to avoid, and completely misses the trainwreck called "Fram". Fram filters made since they were acquired by allied signal are the ones to avoid. I had one of those blow up on a cold start one morning. I've never had a super tech leak or fail. One need look no further than the disclaimer at the top of the page to see that the information you have posted a link to is meant to be questioned: "This review contains no SAE or ASTM test data regarding filtration ability or flow information."

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000

Chris,

I thought SuperTech filters were made by Champion Labs. Maybe I'm behind the times, as usual. :(

Reply to
Bob Adkins

You're making the assumption that using low-priced oil like Supertech is skimping and that higher priced oil isn't. There is no evidence of that. I just bought some Pennzoil for less than Supertech. Does that mean I'm skimping?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

So if a problem doesn't exist, you'll just make one up to justify your position? Give me a break.

And that happened how long ago? IIRC, that was something like 25 years ago and the problem was corrected. Have you heard of even ONE quality issue with modern oils?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

It makes tons of sense. Wal-Mart is probably one of their largest customers. If they can save 5 cents a quart by cutting back on the additive package, that makes loads of economic sense. And it is well known that Wal-Mart squeezes its suppliers on price like no other company. Read the business press a little and you'll see they are legendary for this. And if you think their supplies don't cut corners to lower their price and keep their business, you don't know much about business.

Nope, but given a choice between a company that had a documented problem and one's that haven't, and a company being squeezed on cost by Wal-Mart and one that isn't, I'll take the latter every time. :-)

Ha, ha, ha. Wal-Mart has no incoming QA program. They put EVERYTHING back on their vendors. Read a little about Wal-Mart's business practices. It is very enlightening.

Yes, that is always possible.

Yes, and they also try to make the lowest common product they can get away with.

I agree, most cheap lawn mowers are made by just a couple of companys. That is why I buy John Deere equipment. So far at least, I've gotten quality products.

I've researched as thoroughly as I can.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting