synthetic oil for 06 Sonata V-6

Page 1 of 5
saw somewhere in one of these posts that someone is using Wal-Mart super-tech synthetic motor oil in his Hyundai. Any idea of who makes the Wally_world oil and if it is legal for warranty!!??

Deck wrote:

My 2005 Hyundai Accent requires oil that meets ILSAC GF-3 or API SJ, SL or higher. The Wal-Mart Super-tech full synthetic jug indicates it meets ILSAC GF-4 and GF-3, and also SM/CF, SL, SJ, and SH. In other words, it exceeds the requirements set by Hyundai. I don't know who makes it; I've heard it was made by Quaker State/Pennzoil, but can't confirm that.
John
My tech 2000 jug said product of canada.. but the oils even recomended on driving television.. dont know who makes it though, maybye petro can????

i use it, and it meets all requirments for warranty etc.

Deck wrote:

I've used it in my Elantra. It's good oil and of course, like any API certified oil, it meets or exceeds the warranty requirements. It's produced my Warren Oil, a large blending/bottling house that produces oils for major brand names. Oil analysis shows that it's comparable to brand name synthetics.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Wal-Mart Supertech oil filters are junk, see below and other places: http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml
Maybe the Supertech oil is good, maybe it isn't. Most things at Wal-Mart are less expensive for a reason, and that reason is that most of their stuff is junk. Look at tools or most anything else and compare it to real quality tools, etc. Brand name products should be the same whether bought at Wally World or elsewhere, but buying generic store brand stuff is a crap shoot in my opinion. However, it is your car, Deck, so do what you wish.
Matt
you trying to tell me that, after I spend over 20,000 for an automobile, I shouldn't skimp on oil? What a concept !:)
i guess the name brands have speacial oil wells?

Of course they do, just like Chocolate milk comes from brown cows !!! Tunez

Jody wrote:

Well, now that you mention it, the quality of crude oil does vary rather dramatically depending on where it comes from. However, the real issue is the additive packages, how well the oil is filtered before packaging, how clean the oil handling equipment is, how well the QA tests are done to ensure that every batch is up to snuff, etc. Low cost producers of many products generally have skimped somewhere along the line. This may never cause a problem, then again it may.
Personally, I think that there are a few areas with respect to car maintenance and repair that shouldn't be skimped on. Tires, oil, oil filters, and brakes for example.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

You're making the assumption that using low-priced oil like Supertech is skimping and that higher priced oil isn't. There is no evidence of that. I just bought some Pennzoil for less than Supertech. Does that mean I'm skimping?
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Yes, I do make that assumption knowing a little about Wal-Marts business practices.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

You know what they say about assuming...
It's popular to bash Walmart these days and some of it is deserved, but the truth is that they sell a lot of high quality products. Supertech oil is API certified and it comes from the same source as other brand name oils. The analysis I've seen of it indicates that's it equivalent quality to other brands. Considering that it's a synthetic, it's virtually guaranteed to be superior in protection to the dino oil that is good enough for Hyundai.

I've heard chatter that the V6 was designed for 300K miles. The 300K was (allegedly) specified by Daimler-Chrysler, who will (Again, allegedly!) be using some Hyundai engines in their cars.
God forbid my engine lasts that long. I want it to die at 10 years of 150K, whichever comes first. I don't want a beat-up old geriatric car in my garage that runs like new, because how do you justify a new one?
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

I'd suggest then that you use the cheapest oil (Supertech Dino is probably it) and oil filters you can find. Actually, the best way to solve your problem is to never change the oil at all!! :-)
Matt
Brian Nystrom wrote:

My assumption is made on knowing a little bit about Wally World.

Yes, I would agree that cheap synthetic is better than even high quality dino oil, but again that assumes that the cheap synthetic is passing at last basic quality control tests. If metal filings from a refinery problem get out due to poor QA, then your in trouble synthetic or not.
I'm not nearly as worried about the "normal" batch of cheap oil as I am the batch that gets through the poorer QA system of generic suppliers. And this just an oil issue, it is true with many generic products, especially those without some independent oversight such as FDA, etc.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Once again, you're conconcting hypothetical, non-existent problems in an effort to scare people into siding with you. What's with this nonsense? What drives you to simply make things up?

So I guess the INDUSTRY STANDARD API certification isn't enough for you? What the heck do you want?
We're talking about oil that comes from a source that produces oils for name brand companies that you seem to think are just fine. It's the same product with different labels. You can make up all kinds of preposterous, hypothetical problems, but you can't change the facts. If you want to be paranoid and spending more money makes you feel more secure, do whatever you want. But this fear-mongering of yours is nothing but an attempt to project your insecurties on others; it has nothing to do with the quality of the products we're discussing. Either that, or you're just so desperate for your viewpoint to prevail in this discussion that you'll say anything.
If you want to do some actual research into the products, this API site is a good place to start:
http://eolcs.api.org/%5Cindex.html
You can look up anything you want to know about oils, certification standards, licencees and more.
If you enter "super tech" in the "Brand Name Contains" box and do a search, you'll see that most Super Tech oils are certified API SM, the highest current rating, and all other Super Tech motor oils are certified API SL (for 2004 and older cars). Here's a guide to what the API certifications mean:
http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/API_MotorOilGuide_2004.pdf
If you look at their recommendations, you'll notice that they're strikingly similar to what Hyundai recommends for their engines.
Like I said, do whatever you want, but lets cut through all the crap, OK?
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Like you are trying to convince people that they can just buy the cheapest products out there and have equivalence to better products? What do you have against quality products and brand names?
What drives you to make up claims that all oils are created equal?

A standard isn't quality control. Don't you know the difference?

Show one piece of evidence that they are all the same exact products with only different labels.

Yes, I know that oil producers have to pay to use the API symbol and have to "certify" that their products meet the API standards, with the threat of occasional spot checking by the API. Again, standards at best give some assurance that a product meets a miniumum performance level, but it certainly doesn't preclude a company from radically exceeding those levels.
Most cars meet the government's minimum crash standards. Do you really now believe that all cars are equally crashworthy? After all, they meet the standard so they must all be equal, right?

Yes, I wish you would learn what standards mean. Hint: they don't mean that all products tested against the standard are equal.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

I never said that; you just made that up, too. You really need to get a grip.

As a Quality Assurance Engineer, I know exactly what the difference is. Without a standard, you can't have Quality Control, as there is nothing to measure quality against. The purpose of QC is to ensure that a product meets the required standard.
It's convenient for you to call into question the quality of products that you want to denegrate, but the truth is that you know nothing about their QC procedures. I sent you test data that shows that Super Tech oil is a good product, but I guess you don't want to let facts interfere with your opinions. You make nebulous accusations of inferior quality with no evidence that it's actually the case. Is that the best you can do?

Show me one piece of evidence that they're not? I've given you the information you need for comparison, so get off your butt and check it out. You rag on me and others here about not producing any data, but all you've done is cite one lame old article in a motorcycle magazine that no one else here has seen. Where's the beef, Matt?

Here we go again with the ridiculous hyperbole. What exactly is "radically exceeding"? Exactly how much difference do you think there can be in oils when the API standards are so high. In a previous discussion, you acknowledged that the differences are minuscule at best. Have you suddenly changed your mind?

No, I never said anything of the sort. How many more stupid statements like this do you plan to make up, Matt? You're not helping your case by continually doing this, as nobody is buying it.

That's three times in one post that you've made the same assinine statement. All you've done is try to put words in my mouth, but I'm not about to let you get away with doing that. How about some substance, Matt?

Not surprised at all! Your training shows in your clear logic! :)
I had a wonderful career in QA, but sometimes it's a lonely job.
--
Bob