Tachometer Questions (Elantra)

Hello,
Son has a new Elantra.
Question concerning the Tachometer.
It seems it is pretty much always on 1,500 or so. Might go to 2,00 if hard accelerating, but that's about as high as it
ever seems to get.
1,500dial goes all the way to 8,000 or possibly 10,000; don't recall)
a. Is this 1,500, nearly irrespective of the driving condition, normal ?
b. Am I right that it is supposedly reading the rpm before the transmission gearing; in other words, the true engine rpm (only) ?
c. And, I guess I am always wondering why just about all the mfg's put tachs in their cars, even those with automatic transmissions.
I can understgand if it's in a manual shifter, but for an auto ? Does anyone, ever, even look at the thing ?
Why have ?
Thanks, Bob

RPM depends on gearing and speed. My Sonata cruises at 2000 rpm at 70 but will easily go to 4000 whith quick accelleration or red line under full throttle. If it never goes above 2k, something is wrong.

Yes
I look at mine a lot. If the trans was starting to slip, I'd see the rpm creep up under a given set of circumstances. I sometimes use the manual shifter and it tells me what the engine speed it. Yes, I can live without one, but I like having it.