The so called 'bumper to bumper' Hyundai warranty

Page 3 of 3

Apples and oranges, I doubt Hyundai employee's have as good benefits, alot easier to sell cars cheaper if you don't have alot of overhead. Unions are what have done GM in, forcing more and more benefits without looking at whats happening to the company that is supporting them. There is a rule about biting the hand that feeds you.
As for quality issues, you get what you pay for.
Sorry, you got it wrong.
Look at "Management" to put the blame on, not on the workers, workers do not made stupid decisions like to built Plants with 200% the capacity of the best estimate of how many cars will be sold by GM. As for quality .... GM has the worse in the USA, drove a Chevy 8 months ago (rental) worse piece of manure I have seen in my life. Got tired of problems with Fords, switched to Japs/Koreans ..... HAPPY and with more money in my pocket .... Detroit completely lost it.

Yes actually all the blame can be put on the management, they hired the crappy designers, and allowed the unions to strong arm them into giving away so much for so little. Mostly its a design issue though.

alot
are
Paradox wrote:

I guess "benefits" is a relative term. With the UAW, it seems to mean "whatever we can force the company to give us TODAY, regardless of the what will happen tomorrow."
As for Hyundai workers, it's not like they're working in sweatshops for slave wages.

Absolutely. Unions like the UAW exist more for their own sake than for the workers or the companies. It's about power, not workers or product quality and it comes back to bite them in the ass periodically. BTW, I don't think you can let GM management off the hook, either. The workers didn't make the decisons to continually build crappy products and bet the farm on gas guzzling trucks and SUVs. The shortsightedness and environment irresponsibility of GM is amazing.

Hmmm. Hyundai quality ranks right up there with Honda and Toyota, the two best, but their prices are substantially lower. The reasons are obvious; their costs are lower and they actually care about quality.
There's a big difference between the general asian attitude of "How can we make it better for the price?" and the GM attitude of "How little do we have to do to fool people into paying too much for it?" It seems that asian companies are geared toward the thinking buyer, whereas GM has always bet there will be enough of a "herd mentality" in the marketplace to maintain their momentum. They were wrong.
There's a quote from Alfred P. Sloan, Jr., former President of GM that really sums it up well. He state emphatically: "General Motors is not in the business of making cars. General Motors is in the business of making money!" GM has never learned that if you concentrate on the product, the profits will naturally follow.

Exactly, Unions asked for too much to benefit themselves without looking at the future to see how sustainable it would be, they looked at the company as an enemy instead of a partner in keeping the workers happy and keeping the company profitable.

I'm sure they arn't, building cars requires some degree of skill.

are
Yeah management has blown it the last 30 years or so, they should have seen this coming in the 80's when the Japaneses started rolling out good cars.

Yeah Hyundai has definately changed alot from 1995 to present, much like how honda went from the 70's to the mid 90's to today, BIG change, its a change that the big 3 in detroit will have to make if they expect to last to the end of the decade.

Every company is in the business to make money, GM just didn't look to the long term "how can we make money today and tommorow and into the forseable future? not counting service work on the old cars that were sold, hmm wait thats why things break..
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:12:46 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote:

I must say I had no such misgivings when I bought my Hyundai. Clearly the warranty is spelled out in plain english, all you have to do is read the owner's manual or check the website. The reason why your bulbs went so quickly after replacement is more than likely the tech did not wear gloves while installing them. The bulbs have a component that oil on your hands breaks down. Always wear gloves while changing them... I know someone had posted before that they had clutch trouble with their Tiburon and was SHOCKED it wasn't covered under the 50k waranty. Come on people, if you find anyone that warranties a clutch for 50k let me know...that is definitely considered a "wear item" (ever drove with anyone who 'rides the clutch')? So far I have had one recall on my Tiburon which was the positioning of the rear brake line and had door lock issues which was covered under the warranty. Sure, it would be nice if EVERYTHING was covered under the "bumper to bumper" warranty but as I said, the things that are not are cleary spelled out to the consumer and it's still a better warranty than a Ford or GM.