The South

A man in Topeka, Kansas, decided to write a book about churches around the country. He started by flying to San Francisco, and started working east from there. Going to a very large church, he
began taking photographs and making notes.
He spotted a golden telephone on the vestibule wall, and was intrigued with a sign which read, "$10,000 per minute."
Seeking out the pastor, he asked about the phone and the sign. The pastor answered that the golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to Heaven, and if he pays the price, he can talk directly to God.
The man thanked the pastor and continued on his way.
As he continued to visit churches in Seattle, Salt Lake City, Denver, Chicago, Milwaukee, and around the United States, he found more such phones, with the same sign, and the same expla nation from each pastor.
Finally, the man arrived in the lovely state of Georgia. Upon entering a church, behold: he saw the usual golden telephone. But THIS time, the sign read: "Calls: 25 cents"!
Fascinated, the man asked to speak with the pastor. "Reverend, I have been in cities all across the country and in each church I have found this golden telephone, and have been told it is a direct line to Heaven, and that I could use it to talk to God. But in 20 other churches, the cost was $10,000 per minute. Your sign says 25 cents per call Why is that?
The pastor, smiling benignly, replied: "Son, you're in the South now, and it's a local call."
Handlebar wrote:

I suspect Valor Telecom (our local two-bit mexican-owned telco) could produce a fast busy signal even when attempting to call God. Assuming you did get through you wouldn't be able to hear the other side of the conversation for all the 'frying bacon' sounds on the line...
God bless those southern rural telcos - they need it.
JS