timing belt

hi, i recently bought a 2003 accent with 98,000 miles. i don't know the history on the car but i'm wondering what is the recommended mileage to change the timing belt? and is it costly?

60,000 and yes.

Rob wrote:

ok i guess i better get moving on that. maybe i can ask santa for help. thanks Rob
It's actually not very costly nor very difficult as timing belt jobs go. Shop around in your area and you should be able to find a good price. But be certain that a name brand belt is used if you decide to go aftermarket. I've seen some really bad drive belts out there, and the idea that the timing belts could be just as bad really scares me.
Is it every 60,000 KM?
My 99 accent has crossed 140,000 KM, and timing belt was last changed at around 100,000. Will I need to change again when it reaches 160,000 K
hyundaitech wrote:

It is changed at 60,000 MILE intervals, or about 100,000 KM.
hyundaitech wrote:

ok thanks for your help.
timbuck2 wrote:

is changing the timing belt covered under the warranty ? or only if it goes?

Considered normal maintenance so you pay. If it goes before 60k, they should repair the engine.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

ok thanks Edwin

..and also isn't it four years for warranty purposes? I remember long threads about this in the past.
That's correct. It's four years or 60k miles, whichever comes first.

Yeah, grrr, I had my wifes elantras changed at 4 years.......23k miles.
OTOH its garaged and still has the new car smell !
What about after the first belt change? Is it every 4 years/60K for subsequent changes? So, would Hyundai repair my engine if the belt breaks at 105K, and it had already been changed once?
Thanks,
Kevin

The belts are good for 60,000 miles according to Gates and most other belt makers.
Once the original warranty is expired, there is no reason for Hyundai to fix anything. At 99,000 miles, yes, at 101,000, no.