$$$ Timing belt

What are folks paying to replace the timing belt on a Sante Fe? Are you all replacing water pump at the same time?

Thanks.

Anthony Giorgianni For everyone's benefit, please post back to group. I do not check the email associated with this account.

Reply to
TonyG

I guess someone here needs to try to answer your question.

First of all, while I'm not sure which engine you have, I will assume it is one of the older V6's (the 2.7L or the 3.5L). If you have one of the new ones ('07), the re-design has gone to engines with timing chains, not belts.

But assuming it is one of those two, I got mine changed along with the spark plugs (platinum) changed out for $750 from the dealer. Considering there isn't much room there, especially for the 3.5L, I thought I did pretty well.

I would expect the 4-cylinder to be less. It is a comparatively easy job in the 4.

I have also heard that the 2.7L has a much higher failure rate, especially if you let it get beyond the 60,000 mile plateau. But I wouldn't monkey around with either of them.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Actually, it's the 2.4 that has the high failure rate. I have never once seen a 2.7 with a timing belt problem. In fact, I've never even heard of one that I can recall.

The best advice is to shop around.

On the 2.4, you'll also want to replace the balance shaft belt (a timing belt of sorts), and you'll want to have the work done by a shop that's very experienced in timing belts. This engine is particularly easy to mistime if it isn't done by someone knowledgeable about this engine. It probably won't cause any serious issues, but you could be left with a very annoying vibration.

On either, the tensioner and water pump are covered for 10 years/100k miles. So if you're near the 4 year/60k mark for first replacement (and the original owner), don't replace them. If they're beyond or near the end of the warranty period, then definitely replace the tensioner. Use your discretion on the water pump. They don't fail often, but you'll be paying the same labor (and a little more) all over again if the pump fails a short time later.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech