Timing Belt

I just got some quotes to replace the timing belt on my 2004 3.5L Santa Fe with 41300 miles. Doing this to keep up with warranty.

Dealer $740.00 + $100.00 more to replace the water pump.

1st Independent $1025.00 includes water pump 2nd. Independent $ 990.00 includes water pump Either independent did not seem too eager after finding out what vehicle and engine it was.

This is in Maryland, How does this compare with the rest of the country ?

Also was Quoted $440.00 for a Tune up, meaning plug replacement. This job I along with a friend are doing ourselves. There are web sites that describe it very well about one hour to do it, and I have a shop manual.

Hyundaitech feel free to chime in !

Striker

Reply to
Striker

Don't know where in Maryland you are but there's a Hyundai dealer in Clarksville that has in the past had specials on timing belts for around $400. You may want to see if they intend to have another soon if you live any where nearby. Water pump is under 10/100k warranty, wait until next time to have it done. The plugs are a piece of cake with the internet photos/instructions. In fact, I had no problems getting the center back bolt back in even tho they said it was so hard to get back in and leave it out.

Reply to
Partner

I am in North Harford County. About 75 miles from Clarksville.

Reply to
Striker

Are you sure on this? One of my co-workers was quoted an extortionate amount to replace it on his (I think) '03 Santa Fe.

Reply to
Raoul

Our MA dealer had a $400 special about a month ago.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Indeed, a Hyundai or Kia is probably not going to bring glee to some of the independent garages. And unless they have a lot of experience changing Hyundai timing belts, that is one area I would steer clear of these types of dealers. Best thing one can do is negotiate the best deal one can from a Hyundai dealership.

HyundaiTech has confirmed that the water pump is under the warranty. And if you drive any miles at all, you should have no problems getting another

60,000+ before you have to replace the pump. Agree that it probably IS best to have it done with the 2nd timing belt.

Okay, now I'm interested since I have a vehicle with that 3.5L engine. What special tools did you need to reach those back three plugs? You MUST be mechanically inclined to do the whole job in an hour. I would take one hour and then some to just replace the front three.

How much was the shop manual and where did you get it?

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

$740 would be about what you'd pay at my employer by the time shop supplies and taxes are added in. If you're that far up in Harford County, you might price shop a couple Delaware dealers (can't recall names). I'm presuming the one you checked was Jones. If you wanted to trek south on 95, the next closest ones would be Schaefer & Strohminger and Thompson.

To answer the water pump question posed elsewhere, indeed it is covered 10/100 if you're the original owner.

On the tune up, be prepared for some frustration getting to the rear bolts on the intake plenum. Seven 12mm bolts -- four for brackets supporting the plenum, one for a holder for the EGR pipe, and two for the EGR valve.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Almost as bad as my SHO.

Reply to
jkairoff

Haven't done an SHO, but am familiar with the general appearance of the original Yamaha 3.0. Didn't look like it was any fun. The Santa Fe may be even worse, though, because the manifold sits up high enough to make it difficult to get your hands around the back to access the bolts there.

Reply to
hyundaitech

For Hyundai Accent GS with over 121K miles, I paid $1065 USD for timing belt, 60K maintance, and water pump ($93 for part + $103 labor), and a couple other minor repairs.

Tom in Mesa, AZ

Reply to
PMP4Hire

Our 2003 Santa Fe was a joy to replace the timing belt after working on Hondas. Hyundai made places for your hand to fit while working with a wrench. Hondas, on the other hand, are a royal pain. I've done timing belts on Accords, Civics, Santa Fe's and one other car I don't recall at the moment.

1
Reply to
KWW

When a timing belt is replaced isn't it customary to replace the tensioner also ?

$740 would be about what you'd pay at my employer by the time shop supplies and taxes are added in. If you're that far up in Harford County, you might price shop a couple Delaware dealers (can't recall names). I'm presuming the one you checked was Jones. If you wanted to trek south on 95, the next closest ones would be Schaefer & Strohminger and Thompson.

To answer the water pump question posed elsewhere, indeed it is covered 10/100 if you're the original owner.

On the tune up, be prepared for some frustration getting to the rear bolts on the intake plenum. Seven 12mm bolts -- four for brackets supporting the plenum, one for a holder for the EGR pipe, and two for the EGR valve.

Reply to
Striker

I had been doing this as a matter of course, but stopped when I discovered the timing belt tensioner was a powertrain-warranted component. If you're the original owner and the next timing belt replacement will be before or reasonably near the 10 year/100k mark, don't worry about the tensioner. If it fails, Hyundai's on the hook. If it's your risk, I'd say replace it for the additional $100 or so.

Reply to
hyundaitech