Timing Belt Mysteries: Tight all the time?

This is too weird. Replaced timing belt right. Tensioner measured within tolerance. A week later I got up early in the morning and went back to check for water pump leaks because I still smelled radiator fluid (no leaks after all) and when I took off the top timing belt cover, the belt was REALLY slack in the "V" to the water pump....... It seemed to be just HANGING. I could easily move it 3 or 4 mm with out any effort.

Went ahead and rotated the crank to line up the upper timing marks to see if anything had slipped, and to get the part number from the belt. As soon as I did, it got tight and now, no matter now I rotate it, it is tight! After letting it sit out in the cold for about 20 minutes it is a little less tight on the portion that goes down from the front cam sproket to the idler and crank pullies.

WHAT GIVES? Is that normal? If it sits out in the cold overnight does it loosen or something? V6 2.7 Santa Fe 2003. Engine part number is correct.

I had replaced the timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, and water pump. The belt is in the correct direction.

Thanks

Reply to
Kirk

As the car sits, pressure on the hydraulic tensioner may cause it to gradually compress. Depending on the position of the camshafts, they may attempt to rotate in a particular direction and cause the slack to be in just about any segment of the belt. 3-4 mm isn?t a big deal. Cranking the engine will put all the slack back on the belt segment where the tensioner is and cause the tensioner to reextend.

"Kirk" wrote: >

[...]

Hyundaitech