timing belt or timing chain?

I can't even imagine replacing the accessory drive belt on my Sonata. It appears that the clearance between the body and the pulleys is about

1.5"! The Sonata seems to have a fair bit of room in front of and behind the engine, but little on the pulley end of the engine. If one had to remove a drive pully, I don't think there is even room to get a socket on the nut or bolt. A combination wrench will fit, but it is hard to install a nut or bolt to a given torque using a combination wrench!

Fortunately, I can now afford to hire most of my repair work done, but I still do my own basic maintenance and enjoy doing repairs when I have the proper tools and time.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have an '03 Santa Fe. I must say I love the car and have had no trouble with it. However it just reached 60K miles so I had the timing belt and all other belts replaced by the dealer. With tax it came out to be a little under $500.00.

I have had the same work done on Hondas and for about $400.00 I get the timing belt and a new water pump.

Reply to
Paul