timing belt question

Looking at the Edmunds Maintenance/Service site

says that the recommended replacement schedule for an Elantra ('07) is at 60k miles. It would seem that at 120k the belt should be replaced again but that is not indicated. So my question is: Does that mean that the replacement belt is so much better that it doesn't need to be replaced or that after 100k Hyundai doesn't care if the belt breaks as they are off the hook. I also noticed that ALL Hyundais are to have the belt replaced at the 60k interval. It was my impression that the V6s had chains and thus didn't need that service. Anyone be able to set me straight??

Thanks, John

Reply to
jp103

Neither. If you look in the Maintenance Log that comes with the car, timing belt replacement is indicated every 60K miles.

The timing-CHAIN equipped engines obviously don't need a timing BELT change.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Thanks Brian

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Reply to
jp103

Actually, check your manual carefully. I believe the interval for the timing belt for your car is 105,000 miles (or 7 years).

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Did that change in '07? Is it just for California cars, as it was previously?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I finally was able to check the service schedule in the owner's manual for 07 Elantra. Inspect timing belt at 60k & 120k replace at 90k and 150k.

Reply to
jp103

Reply to
John

I believe the interval changed for the '07 Elantra and '07 Santa Fe. 90k and then 150k, as jp has posted, however, seems to make little sense.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Which raise the question: Is there an easy way to inspect the timing belt or is it just about as labor intensive as changing it?

Reply to
jp103

Not visible at all until you disassemble a lot of stuff. If you get to the point of inspection, it is only a few minutes more to change it. IMO, it is not worth the risk to stretch the interval.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's often not terribly instructive to check the timing belt. It's possible to tell that the timing belt is about ready to fail because the teeth are starting to crack and strip off, but that means you'd need to have inspected it when failure is immediately imminent. It's entirely possible to check at every oil change, have the timing belt look fine, and then have it fail prior to the next scheduled oil change. Better to just replace it at the specified interval.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech