Timing Belt Question

When a timing belt is replaced isn't it customary to replace the tensioner also ?

Striker

Reply to
Striker

Yes. If the mileage is high enough, it would be wise to change the water pump as well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The end result of a tensioner failing is the same as a belt breaking or teeth shearing off the belt. Probably every 2nd belt change would be a good idea, extra cost isnt huge. John

Reply to
John

My 04 Santa Fe has 41,600 miles on it. Had the belt changed to keep up the warranty.

Reply to
Striker

Sorry I didn't catch this in time. I had been replacing the tensioners with timing belts as a matter of course, but stopped when I discovered it was a powertrain warranty item. If you're the original owner and the next timing belt replacement will be prior to or near the 10 year/100k mark, save it until the next time. Same for the water pump.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks to all.

Striker

Sorry I didn't catch this in time. I had been replacing the tensioners with timing belts as a matter of course, but stopped when I discovered it was a powertrain warranty item. If you're the original owner and the next timing belt replacement will be prior to or near the 10 year/100k mark, save it until the next time. Same for the water pump.

Reply to
Striker

True, but that means it is covered from the 60K belt change to the 100k mark. You still go from 100k to 120k uncovered with the potential to take out the belt and the engine at your expense. Consider the risk factor versus cost to make that decision.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I changed the Timing belt at 41,600 mi. after almost 5 years. I will do another change right before the 100,000 mile mark or 10 years mark which I will most likely reach first. At that time I will do both the tensioner and water pump.This is my wife's car and she does not drive it that much.

One thing is the new belt is real noisy and it is really bugging my wife. Does a new timing belt suppose to be noisey. It is a winey noise.

Striker

Reply to
Striker

Not typically. What vehicle/engine?