timing belt replacement on 2000 Elantra

Hi, I'm at the 60,000 mi range on my 2000 elantra and I am a little confused about replacing my timing belt. Owners manual says replace at 60,000 mi except calif, Car bought new in Ca and what does that mean, that in calif it does'nt need replaced at 60k. Just got the car smogged and ask the mechanic what that except Ca means and he told me that I don't have to do the timing belt until 90k-100k in Calif.He stated to me the in the calif the belt is made of a different materal and the replacement is extended. I can't find anything in the owners manual that states this. What is the replacement mileage on the 2000 elantra in Calif.I don't want to get stranded with a ruined engine without a 10yr-l00,000 mi warranty because I did'nt replace the T-belt@60k. thanks for help on this issue.

Reply to
Larry

All the belts are the same. I don't have an official explanation as to why this is, but I suspect it's a legal issue particular to California where they cannot force you to replace the belt to maintain the warranty. If you read the manual, it'll say something like "recommended but not required." The *recommended* interval for your vehicle is 4 years/60k miles, regardless of where it's been purchased or where it's registered.

Furthermore, I believe the state of registration is what they're talking about. You should be able to get clarification from Hyundai customer assistance on this.

As far as your timing belt goes, you should be concerned about breakage or strippage. You're in the 6 to 7 year range. I've seen belts on Elantras like yours strip at this age. Remember, the recommended interval was 4 years.

In any event, if your car is registered in California (or Hyundai tells you that you have some other connection with California that makes it okay not to change the belt), you need to consider whether the cost of the belt is worth the trade-off of having your car in the shop for a significant period of time for engine repair in the event the belt breaks. I don't think this belt will last ten years.

Reply to
hyundaitech