Timing Belt sonata

Over $340.00 to replace a timing belt, do we need to start buying retro cars where you can change your own fuel pump, plugs, alternator, and other easy to get to parts? I'm thinking about it! Any comments?

Reply to
taters2

I think that, slowly but surely, auto makers are wising up about timing belts. Hyundai, as they are redesigning their cars and engines, seems to be going away from them.

Indeed, it makes you look at the area of maintenance in a whole different way than you used to for cars. Same with spark plugs on the back side of a transverse V6 engine.

Do I yearn for the old days?? Nah - too many things used to go wrong that you would have to replace. That has gotten a lot better in many newer cars.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Well, I drive an old AMC Hornet, so that's pretty much the philosophy I use for my own ride. On the other hand, the wife loves her 2006 Sonata. The dealer does all the maintenance on that one, there's not much under the hood that I even recognize. (Fortunately that model does not have timing belts, but it's a V6 so replacing the rear plugs is going to be an expensive PITA when the time comes. In contrast, replacing the spark plugs on the Hornet's inline six is a piece of cake!)

Reply to
pdp11

Just hade the timing belt changed on my Accent. Wife has her 2 Elantra. The cost to have this done is way out of line. Been shopping for my 16 year old daughter for her car. Top of my list is to ask What must be done to maintain the 100k warranty and cost. sales people reply just normal maintenance but can't give me a cost . fun to see their red face when I mention the 300 for a timing belt every 60k miles. my next just might be a Ford.

Reply to
Richard

What is "way out of line"?

That's because sales people don't run the repair shop. Maybe you should talk to the shop manager.

$300 to replace a timing belt is pretty cheap - for any car so equipped. I doubt you see many red faces.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

So, you'd by an inferior vehicle that's probably more expensive in order to avoid $600 in maintenance costs over the lifetime of the vehicle (180K miles assumed here)?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Been there, done that. I bought a 66 Mustang coupe 6 cyl in '98. It was in great shape and I worked on it myself.

Issues: Not fun to steer or brake Stuff broke (starter, solenoid,brakes squealed,no shoulder harnesses and they couldn't easily be installed, no airconditioning (pick the right vintage car) carburator accelerator pump, points and timing, ...there was always something.

Now I have, in it's place, a 1997 Impreza with 132K miles on it. (for 2

+years) Haven't touched it except for oil since I bought it and it is comfortable and reliable. I'm not going back...(:}

Reply to
Jim L

Holy cow - you're comparing a 1966 vintage vehicle with a 1997?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yea, Tom, but I could change plugs in my car in minutes, change the points and adjust the dwell in a few more minutes. Didn't have to jack the car up to change the oil. :o) And still got 20+ miles per gallon on gas that cost $0.25 a gallon. It wasn't ALL bad. Except tires only lasted 15,000 miles, engines lasted only 50,000 and the car rusted out in 3 years.... :o( I still enjoyed being in control of my destiny instead of some guy in a local shop. Sorry about that last comment, hyundaitech - I still love you. :o)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Although not a Hyundai, we recently had the timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, and accessory drive belts replaced on our son's 1996 Mistubishi Galant. Of course, many Hyundai engines were based upon Mitsu designs. I wish we ONLY had to pay $300 to replace the belt, plus the cost of the other belt(s) and water pump. Our cost was over $800 for the service. The shop labor was $89/hour. Other quotes we received locally were within +/- $75 of the same figure.

Now, if you want to talk about replacing timing chains on SOHC or DOHC engines, I have some real horror stories to tell you - cost can be greatly in excess of $1K. Obviously, replacement is not as often, but they do need to be replaced occasionally.

Reply to
Don Allen

If retro bumper replacements were available, that is bumpers that can stand a few bumps and jars with NO damage to the car, I believe there would be a market for them Especially when the original bumper was trashed by a small bump and had to be replaced. Many might choose to replace it with a more durable one.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer