Timing Marks Off??

I have just replaced the timing belt on a ’94 Scoupe. Set the timing marks according to book. Now the engine starts, hesitates first then revives up to 4000 rpm (without depressing the accelerator and dies.
All happens within 5 seconds. When started again, repeats the same. :?: Before the timing belt change it run fine. It looks like the timing is off, but I double-checked it again and again, the marks are where they suppose to be. What’s the story with this one? :?
βœ–
You may wish to check the crank sprocket inside flats for wear. I don't recall seeing this issue on this engine, but I've seen it frequently on the Mitsu 1.5's.
Add pictures here
βœ–
zoltran wrote:

FWIW, I did the timing belt on the same year Excel and it worked fine with the timing marks lined up as specified. It's actually a pretty hard thing to screw up on that engine, so I'll bet that your problem lies elsewhere. Is the tensioner adjusted properly? If it's loose, it would allow the cam timing to shift.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If you have cruise control, you may also wish to check to see if the cable has pulled out of the crimp on either end causing the throttle to be stuck open.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"" wrote: > If you have cruise control, you may also wish to check to see > if the cable > has pulled out of the crimp on either end causing the throttle > to be stuck > open.
Problem solved! I created it myself. I took off the valve cover, to check valve clearances. When I replaced the cover, I was distracted and forgot to replace two vacuum hoses. That was it. Engine runs like a clockwork. Thanks for your help. :lol:
βœ–