TIRES

and now to collect some ( educated ) tire opinions.....
My new KIA sedan came with 195/60/R15 tires.
Every time I would walk past it, it'd look like the tires were low.
No air leaks..... the tires just have less "sidewall".
I've gotten this same comment from other owners of newer Japanese cars.
So, new tires have less sidewall.... Better handling ? Better "looks" ?? Less material to make the tire ???
Opinions ? fact ??
The main thing I have noticed about the low profile tires is that if you hit a moderately sized pothole, the tires will bust (burst). There is not much "give" built into the tire. Also rougher ride.

Pretty much all of the above. They tend to be better for cornering since there is less sidewall to flex. Not just Japanese cars, but most are heading that way for some models.
This is certainly true to some degree. But whereas there are some tires that do look like rubber strips on a giant wheel, older tires used to look like mega rubber donuts on a wheel not much bigger than an average biscuit.
I think the 195-60R15 is an almost perfect blend of performance and comfort for a small car. And if you buy the right tire, you will be impressed with both comfort and handling.
BTW, I own a couple of Kias with that size, and I found that the best tires usually functioned at their best when inflated to around 32-34 psi, rather than the 30 that is usually listed.
One last thing. Even though this is not really a large or expensive size, you are right in that most manufacturers are going to lower-profile tires on their cars, often now with 18, 19 & even 20" wheels in some larger applications.
When it comes time to replace these tires (and they will wear fast), you had better prepare yourself for the cost of replacement tires, and figure that as part of the cost of ownership. Because the price for a set of four will take your breath away compared to what you are used to in years past.
But never use that as an excuse to "cheap out" on tires. They are THE #1 safety item on your car, literally the place where car and road meet.

Did you check the air pressure? 195/60/R15 not a low profile tire by todays standards.

I've checked pressure several times. ( couple different pressure gauges too ! ) They always match the numbers on the sticker in the doorframe.
BTW; I see real "low profile" usually on aftermarket oversized mags. The tires lok like a rubber strip wrapped around the wheel.