tires

I have a chance to buy 4 nearly brand new 185/60/15 tires for my 2006 Elantra CHEAP...It has 195/60/15 on it now..Will they fit my rims ?? If so will it mess up speedometer ?? Thanks...

Reply to
benick

More info..

Four Bridgestone Potenza RE92, 185/60/15 tires...Less than 500 miles on them...

Reply to
benick

Keep in mind, 185 is more narrow than 195. It will have some affect on handling. I've used winder tires, never narrower so I don't know how much you will see different.

If the car is primarily used to drive three miles to the supermarket, you will never notice the difference. If you drive at 70 mph on the twisting back roads, you may well notice.

Hyundai engineers had some basis to choose the 195 size.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, you will likely have an effect on your speed as the 185's have lesser diameter than the 195's so your revs per mile will increase. I think that will actually wear your tires quicker as a byproduct.

Also, your speedometer will not be accurate. Although you might be getting a good price, I don't think it's worth the hassle to go with the 185's. You could always buy them and craigslist them for a couple bucks more.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

try this a very good tool for tise info:

need java installedjeff

Reply to
<me

Even though they're cheap it's not a good idea to go to a smaller size tire. Besides the difference in diameter, the load rating will be less than your original tires and the car may not handle as well. I'd pass on this "deal" and get the correct size.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks Jeff..It says the difference is 1.2 MPH...At 60 I will be going 58.8 MPH..At lesser speeds it shouldn't be noticable...Also checked a couple other sites and the difference in size is LESS than 1/4 of an inch and no noticable change in performance or speed...They said it wouldn't cause any problems to use them.For 80 bucks I could live with it..Mostly travel rural roads anyway(Maine)...Not sure if I will be the one to get them...I was the

2nd caller so I'm waiting to see if they go...The other guy called Sunday AM and hasn't showed up yet so I'm hopefull...Only need them for the summer monthes...Have studded snows on other wheels for the winter...Thanks for the tips...
Reply to
benick

There's a "dot" imprinted on the tires with a code that tells you when they were made. The reason I say this is because old tires, even never used, can be dangerous. Something about the rubber breaking down. Even tires that "look" good, with lots of tread left can actually be bad. Here's just one link, do a Google search and you will see many, many more.

Brian Matthews